Author Topic: MYSTERY STEEL BLOCK.  (Read 4337 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MYSTERY STEEL BLOCK.
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 18:43 BST (UK) »
I don't know anything about Royal Orders but I would think the Order would be the only people allowed to use the Collar image.
Funny thing is I can see the Collar surrounding the Royal Coat of Arms but can't see an example of it used with the Ireland Coat of Arms and Crest, except your die.

Perhaps the printers did a lot more than postcards and had contracts with the various Royal Orders.

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 19:30 BST (UK) »
The die depicts the full "achievement" of the arms of Ireland. An heraldic full achievement consists of the arms, plus crest, plus any orders. A full achievement should also include supporters, if available, but Ireland does not have such. In any case, as all the elements in this example are purely Irish, e.g. not the British royal arms or crests as such, it is clearly meant to convey "Ireland" and not GB, or UK.  To me the most likely possibility is simply that it was the primary decoration on an "Irish" postcard.  An alternative to shamrocks and wolfhounds, etc. etc. Perhaps others can think of other possibilities.

BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
Maybe "a Die  for a Victorian Belt Plate.

Offline John915

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 13 April 17 01:06 BST (UK) »
Good morning,

Maybe "a Die  for a Victorian Belt Plate.

NO WAY.

John915
Stephens, Fuller, Tedham, Bennett, Ransome (Sussex)
Rider (Fulham)
Stephens (Somerset)
Kentfield (Essex)

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 13 April 17 13:37 BST (UK) »
In reply to Dathai the sit down press with a safety gate
In front did you also use that type.
 Would that type be used for embossing😊

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 13 April 17 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Scribble
               never used any other than the one similar to the photo, there was no safety gate on the one i used just a sliding aperature similar to where you would insert drawers into a cabinet these held the dyes top and bottom.

Dathai

Offline Scribble1952

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 13 April 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply,I know which one you mean the one at a time swinging arm.  :'(
Nicknamed the,
"Incredible Hulk"💪

Or put in a jig punched with holes to suit the number plate and hard plastic numbers or letters used in the holes and fastened down with a punch ring.😊

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 13 April 17 16:49 BST (UK) »
Frederick Charles Southwood, 96 Regent Street, London.
described as fancy stationer in Post Office London Directory 1895. [Part 2: Street Directory]  source http://cdm16445.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/landingpage/collection/p16445coll4

The National Archives COPY 1/453/386
describes several photographs as per this example a ‘Photograph [of] child......   Copyright owner of work: Frederick Charles Southwood, 96 Regent Street, London. Copyright author of work: Alexander Corbett, 36 Rutland Park Mansions, Willesden Green, London. Form completed: 18 November 1901. Registration stamp: 1901 November 19. the form emanates from Records of the Copyright Office, Stationers' Company.

in the 1911 census he describes himself as Artistic Stationer, living with family at 105 Abbey Road St Johns Wood Nw Parish Hampstead. I wonder if the block could well be copyrighted and the author of the work might be named?
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 13 April 17 17:03 BST (UK) »
I too am sure that it was for embossing in some way. Most of us probably have somewhere a book where instead of a psted in bookplate there is a raised, stamped image, and there are several ways it could be used, located in different "machines" for the task.
It most certainly isn't for printing in with type.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)