Author Topic: France: Anne L'Homme, born Echiselle  (Read 5939 times)

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: France: Anne L'Homme, born Echiselle
« Reply #28 on: Monday 28 August 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Yes could be DROINE
I see the act in 1693 it is DROÜIN in fact , but can you read the name of the boy?

No. I don't see it. I think it's Jacques because of the godfather.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 28 August 17 15:57 BST (UK) »
You mean godfather? It could be , or not. In fact the priest curate forgot to write the name of the boy, may be the name is written in the original  book (this one is the copy as said at the end of the year).
he made 2 corrections : , I can't read the first one , the second one is "nommé", under marriage , on top of "sa femme"

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 August 17 16:38 BST (UK) »
The story of the religion followed by Claude Delhomme,(or  De L'homme, finally Lhomme) is hard to understand
1 . in 1698 a certain Claude de l'homme , son of Claude De l'Homme and Simone Drouin renounces the protestant faith and makes profession of faith in the catholic religion.
How old is he ? Is he the Claude Lhomme we find in 1723 in London with his wife Anne Juvin? Probably.

2.1704 birth of Jacques of Claude Lhomme and Anne Juvin , married without ceremonies and without the proper curate, Jacques baptized (catholic), godmother :françoise magdeleine lhomme , daughter of the late Claude lhomme  , labourer (he should be the husband of Simone ) (and thus paternal aunt of the baby.
Let's try to find the death act, may be the name of Simone is mentionned.

3.1706 birth of Claude  baptized catholic(of Claude Lhomme and Anne Juvin), of a clandestine marriage, baby baptized by the midwife and the curate legalizes the baptism with the proper ceremonies (catholic)
Claude is a winegrower  (vigneron)

4.1708 birth of Denise, baptized catholic of Claude Delomme and Anne Juvin of the so called reformed religion , from the hamlet of Eglancourt . Claude is "Homme de peine"

5. 1711 birth of Marie Anne baptized catholic, of the legitimate marriage of Claude lhomme (winegrower , "nouveau réuni" and Anne Juvin . "The said marriage was done according to their protestant law about 10 years ago, and they lived as husband and wife since then."
nouveau réuni = came back recently to the catholic religion
the marriage is said "legitimate" though done in the protestant religion, or is it a mistake and the curate meant illegitimate?

6.1714 birth of Christine ( baptized catholic)of Claude Delommes  (qui estoit de la religion prétendue réformée and Anne Juvin (réputée sa femme = known as his wife). ESTOIT means : was (past)

7.1717 birth of Pierre of Claude delomme, winegrower of this parish and Anne Juvin with whom he has been living for several years as if she was his wife without the sacrament , beinf of the religion of Calvin, godfather ... good catholic, godmother .. good roman catholic

8. 1719 birth of Louise of the so called marriage of Claude Delhomme and Anne Juvin

May be  the renouncement was clearly not sincere  (they did not go to mass and so on ) .The revocation of the Edict of Nantes led a large majority of  protestants to convert.

Offline joger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:39 BST (UK) »
and you probably won't find one because the family is obviously still Protestant.
No marriage and burial records for them in the Catholic registers.
They only accepted the Catholic baptism.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ia6kAgAAQBAJ&pg=PA110&lpg=PA110&dq=huguenot+catholic+baptism&source=bl&ots=UqFN4Ba4XR&sig=ir4rL7ETh30Gp7B-dw60FNaxaAE&hl=fr&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiZwpCuyPrVAhXLKVAKHSMJCBgQ6AEIQDAD#v=onepage&q=huguenot%20catholic%20baptism&f=false

Offline JenNZL

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 05:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, both of you, for all your time and effort on this  - I really appreciate it.

I'm a bit puzzled, too, about Claude renouncing the Protestant faith and then later (if it is in fact the same man) being married according to Protestant traditions. I suppose it's one of those little mysteries that may never be uncovered.

I wonder what size of place St Martin de Nigelles was back then? If it was small, then it seems likely that the Claude who married Simone Drouin was the father of Claude who married Anne, which (if I can pin Anne to this family) would take me back one more generation. I looked up the hamlet that one of the documents said Anne Juvin was from (Eglancourt?) and that appears to be a tiny place even now. I wonder if any of their records have survived?

Looking at Anne and Jean's marriage and the dates of birth of their children, I still suspect she was born later than the Livre des tesmoinages suggests. They were married in 1736, and had four children in quick succession after this. It seems unlikely that she was as old as 34 when she was married, as would be suggested by the dates in the Livre des tesmoinages.

Perhaps her baptism record simply hasn't survived?

Thanks again,

Jenni