Author Topic: Software choice and sync with Ancestry and MyHeritage online trees. Help please!  (Read 4226 times)

Offline Christianmpoulsen

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I need some guidance please, I'm in a pickle! I have subscriptions to both Ancestry.co.uk and MyHeritage (the latter was added as more useful with my Danish tree). I have extensive (3000 people plus) trees on both sites, with photos and documents.
I want to choose and purchase genealogy software for extra features and import my Ancestry tree with photos into the program on my Mac. Ideally I want it to be able to link to both Ancestry and MyHeritage subscriptions to use in searches.
I am considering Family Tree Maker.
Advice please on what I should choose and how to stop duplicating trees on 2 different sites!
Robson (NBL ENGLAND); Armstrong (NBL ENGLAND);Richardson (NBL ENGLAND); Money (NFK & NBL ENGLAND); Gibson (NBL ENGLAND);
Swoish/Swash (NFK ENGLAND);Reed (NBL ENGLAND);
Watson (NBL ENGLAND); Church (NFK ENGLAND); Trobe/Trollop (NBL ENGLAND); Lowes (NBL ENGLAND);
Sherwood (NBL ENGLAND); Harrison (NBL ENGLAND)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Software choice and sync with Ancestry and MyHeritage online trees. Help please!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
I may be wrong, but I thought that Family Tree Maker was the only one that synced with Ancestry. I also though that if you import/export using gedcom it doesn't import photos. It will be interesting to hear if you can do that.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garbfink

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Software choice and sync with Ancestry and MyHeritage online trees. Help please!
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
Family Tree Maker is the only one that is well integrated with Ancestry (to my knowledge) They are currently in the process of releasing a new update for 2017 which will link to family search but I don't believe that it links in any way to My Heritage. FTM is pretty easy to use although I find dealing with sources a bit cumbersome

RootsMagic links to FindMyPast and Family Search and has an agreement to start linking directly with Ancestry although that was meant to happen before the end of 2016 and (to my knowledge) is till in the process of being developed. I also find that adding in my own sources is very cumbersome and a little antiquated.

My Heritage I believe has a downloadable program which I have never used. I assume it will link with My heritage but I don't think that it will ancestry. I have never used it so can't comment much further on this.

If you are looking to import all pictures etc. the FTM will do that if you link your account to an online tree so that may be a good option. If you are importing a GEDCOM file then none of your pics will be transferred.

On a side note I want to have a purely offline tree to keep all of the information I have in one central location. I'm just trying our Heredis 2017 which doesn't have any external links to genealogy websites but inputting sources and managing files is very easy (so far!) I'm just mucking about with their free download at the moment.

I don't think there is anything that is going to tick all of your boxes. If I were you I'd be inclined to look at the My Heritage offline program first, then at FTM 2017 when it is released. If you're not bothered by having it linked to a website then check out Heredis as well. It seems pretty good in my minimal use of it so far.

I'm in no way affiliated to any of the above. Like the OP I have been on a mission to find the ideal offline program for me. It's like trying to find the Holy Grail!

Carr - Yorkshire
Fulcher - Middlesex
Garbutt - Yorkshire
Kay - United States