Author Topic: Aristocratic Child Going to Court late 1500s early 1600s  (Read 754 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aristocratic Child Going to Court late 1500s early 1600s
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 10:00 BST (UK) »
At which age could a male child from the landed genry get a position at court in the late 1500s or early 1600s? Would 10 years of age have been too young?

Online Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
Re: Aristocratic Child Going to Court late 1500s early 1600s
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:10 BST (UK) »
At which age could a male child from the landed genry get a position at court in the late 1500s or early 1600s? Would 10 years of age have been too young?

I don't think that it is beyond the bounds of possibility.

Every parent, regardless of station in life, wants playmates for their children. If one is in a position to be able to choose from a willing pool, so much the better. I would look at the household the child was going to - were there children of the family?

Another line of enquiry is the type of family. Would they have had their own chapel? If so, did it have a choir? A boy soprano was and still is a desirable addition to a church service.

Look at the royal weddings in the 20th and 21st centuries, how many had very young courtiers in attendance?

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 13:44 BST (UK) »
The household he entered was that of Elizabeth Stuart, Queen of Bohemia. She was born on the 19th of August 1596, so everything you wrote fits perfectly :) In her biography it says that he entered her household "at least as early as 1603". He was still in her service when he wrote his will 33 years later, so they must have hit it off :)

Pehaps he could even have been born as late as 1596, and been just seven. That would have made them the exact same age.

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:15 BST (UK) »
According to wikipedia (which of course is never wrong!  :-\ ):

In medieval times, a page was an attendant to a nobleman or a knight. Until the age of about seven, sons of noble families would receive training in manners and basic literacy from their mothers or other female relatives. Upon reaching seven years old, a boy would be sent to the castle, great house or other estate of another noble family. This would match the age at which apprenticeships or servants' employment would be entered into by young males from lower social classes.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 14:36 BST (UK) »
As Philip says, it was fairly standard practice for young boys of high birth to be sent off to join the household of another noble family, where they would be trained in armed combat, chivalry etc.  One  example amongst many is that of Richard III, who was sent off at the age of ten to be tutored by the Earl of Warwick at Middleham Castle.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 21:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your kind and very helpful answers. Everything you have written seems to fit this situation down to a T.

I think the eldest son of the family was born in 1582, with this being the youngest son. There were eight siblings, and I think he was the second to last. And for that to fit he couldn't have been born much earlier than 1593 :)

But for all of his time spent at court, he must have spent considerable time at home as well, because the will shows a close-knit family. He seems close with all of his siblings, particularly the youngest sister, and two first cousins as well :)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 April 17 02:04 BST (UK) »
Princess Elizabeth apparently spent only a few weeks at the English Court after her father, King James of Scotland, inherited the English throne in 1603. She was brought up in country houses with elder brother, Henry, Prince of Wales, as was customary for royal children. So the new page's surroundings might not have been too much of a culture shock. If he stayed in her service after her marriage he would have had some interesting but not always pleasant times.
James went on a Royal Progress of his new kingdom, being entertained by local nobility and gentry, bankrupting some in consequence. He dished out knighthoods, for which recipients had to pay. Anyone who didn't claim their knighthood was fined, so the king won either way. The boy may have been presented to the king during the Progress and offered a place then or later.
Wasn't Elizabeth dubbed "Queen of Hearts"?
Cowban

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 April 17 21:52 BST (UK) »
He wrote his will in May in 1636, describing his title of position in the household of "the most illustrious Princess […] the lady Elizabeth Queen of Bohemia" :) He had advanced over the years. He was also the one entrusted to bring jewellery from her father James I at the birth of her son.

I read that first, and read up on the lady afterwards, and yes, it is almost incredible, isn't it? :) Interesting times indeed. He must have had quite the adventurous spirit!

But he was a clever man, and shrewd. His will both displays and shows this. He seems very intelligent and is obviously a man of education. It is honestly the "best" will I have ever come across!

James went on a Royal Progress of his new kingdom, being entertained by local nobility and gentry, bankrupting some in consequence. He dished out knighthoods, for which recipients had to pay. Anyone who didn't claim their knighthood was fined, so the king won either way. The boy may have been presented to the king during the Progress and offered a place then or later.

Yes, this makes a lot sense. (The Stuarts have never been favourites of mine, honestly. They have always seemed a dubious lot. So finding this was a bit of a surprise.)

Elizabeth wouldn't have accompanied her father on this Royal Progress, I suppose, the two of them hitting it off then and there? Because it seems they must have.

Wasn't Elizabeth dubbed "Queen of Hearts"?

It indeed appears as if she was! And also as the British Pearl. And of course, Winter Queen :) What surprised me the most is how intensely popular she appears to have been. Being described as charismatic and beautiful. At the time of her death, she was all but forgotten. Even by her own children, to whom she had been "a distant mother".