Author Topic: EDENBRIDGE christening of Edward White 1778c  (Read 816 times)

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EDENBRIDGE christening of Edward White 1778c
« on: Wednesday 12 April 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone help me by looking for a christening for Edward White? He was consistent with age and p.o.b on censuses for 1851 & 1861. (Edenbridge 1778c and he died 1866, aged 88).  Was living at Penshurst from 1811.
There is a marriage at Edenbridge of an Edward White to Rachel Sherwood (widow) on 26/10/1775, which looks hopeful for his parents.  The site where I found this doesn't have christenings listed so I'm a bit stuck.

The younger Edward's wife was Lucy but, as she died in 1844, I don't know her place or year of birth.  In this instance there is a marriage of Edward White to Lucy Taylor at Kemsing in 1810, 15 months later Edward & Lucy's first child was christened at Penshurst. Which isn't too far away for me to consider it a possibility.  Any thoughts of how to prove/disprove this?

I've come back to try this family again as recently acquired a new grand daughter who has been named 'Lucy'!    So Lucy "Taylor" could be her 5 x great grandmother.

Hope someone can help & point me in the direction of those records.  :)

Thanks
Lee
Watford/Rickmansworth - Payne, Paddick, Gurney, Green, Nichol(l)s
Hindringham/Norfolk - Sands, Southgate
Newbury, Berks. - Pocock, Salter
Sevenoaks area Kent - Nash, Wicking, White
Cranbrook area Kent - Hayward
Ash/Windlesham, Surrey - Chitty/Chittie, Harwood

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: EDENBRIDGE christening of Edward White 1778c
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
According to the Lionel Cole Transcription there was this baptism at Edenbridge,

1778 Mar 17 Edward WHITE s/o Edward & Rachel

see http://theweald.org/d10.asp?bookid=EdenPR052&v=0&xid=W&xnm=1&pd=1

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:04 BST (UK) »
You can also find the burial of Rachel's (likely) first husband via that link and the detail of her first marriage.  On that occasion the groom's name is spelt Sharrard.

Seems a good possibility.

Tony

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 20:36 BST (UK) »
  :)  Brilliant!  Thanks Tony!

I was just looking through the baptism list and found Rachel with Robert Sherwood/Sherrard on earlier dates.  I'll have to make sure that I keep a note of the site name for further reference.  ;D

It's great to be back on Rootschat!  Happy that it's just a full of helpful FH fans as ever.

Will have to make the effort to visit and take some photos of the ancestors' stamping grounds.  And I don't remember ever visiting Edenbridge.

Thanks again for taking the time to restart my digging.

Lee

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 21:09 BST (UK) »
You're welcome Lee,

My 4th Great-grandfather was born in Edenbridge.  He had the wonderful surname of Walldrapper.  Unfortunately that line's name died out, not through death, but first dropping the Wall and later one of the ps!

I grew up on the top of Westerham Hill and visited Edenbridge often in those bygone days.  Alas I haven't been back much since my brother went to Australia about 20 years ago.

Tony

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
Morning Tony

Lucky you!  I did notice the Walldrapper events as I hadn't seen the name before.  Must make research on that line much easier. 
Seems we were almost neighbours, I grew up at Biggin Hill but we moved, when I was 18, to west Surrey.  With bus travel we went in the Bromley direction more often, as the 410 was more frequent that way.  My eldest sister did work at Masters' shop in Westerham for a while.  I think it closed in the 60's.  It was near the old railway station, on the opposite side of the road.

I sometimes make it to the Biggin Hill (residents) Annual Reunion but generally go via Tatsfield.
Will always remember the tight junction turning into Westerham High Street.

Wishing you happy digging
Lee  :)

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 April 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Afternoon Lee,

You might think it was easy, my 3rd Great-grandmother (paternal) married as Frances Walldrapper in 1818 at Cowden.  You would think finding her baptism would be a piece of cake.  Census returns varied her year of birth from 1806 to 1798 were not a lot of help although, the last one in 1871 was the most accurate.  I won't bore you with the sad story of my efforts and near miss but, just to say I eventually found her baptised (9 Dec 1798) at Cowden the daughter of Francis and Rebecca DROPPER!  Believe it or not I have a double relative in Australia who descends from an original Walldrapper who married (under the name Drapper) a Sandy, my mother's line.

I went to Biggin Hill CP School.  Long after I left (1956) it was demolished and a new a new one built somewhere in Jail Lane.  I used to walk down Chestnut Avenue to Hawley Corner and catch the 410 to school, 2d it cost.  We also sometimes took it all the way to Bromley South when Mum took us shopping.  Sometimes we would change then and catch the 47 to Deptford where Auntie Lil lived, in the same house where Mum was born.  Oh the memories of when life was so much simpler!

All the best,
Tony

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: EDENBRIDGE ch. Edward White 1778 - father ch. Tunbridge 1754?
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 May 17 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

Well it seems that the White family weren't settled in Edenbridge.  :(
Although Edward senior was down as 'b.o.t.p.' on his marriage, in 1775.
However, I have found a christening at Tunbridge which would fit - Edward White 30/6/1754, son of John and Sarah. If correct, this would explain Edward junior naming his 1st son John and his 2nd son Edward. 
There is a marriage for John White to Sarah Buly (perhaps this should be Bailey?) on 1/10/1738 and a total of 10 christenings between 1739 and 1762.

Do you think that I'm being too optimistic with this?

Tony
Yes, I knew about the old school being demolished, although it was after we moved away from the village.  The new one is almost opposite the Squash Club in Jail Lane, where the reunions have been held for the last 10 years.  Were you there when Mr Hicks was head master?  His wife was a teacher too and I think that they lived in Keston.  I remember Mrs Tipper who had the detached classroom, with entrance up some wooden steps. 
When I started there we were living in Lebanon Gardens and on the first day I walked up Sutherland Avenue with my 13 year old sister.  Often saw the milkman with his horse and cart delivering the pint bottles with the cardboard tops. And remember the horrendous ruts in the road by the playing field in the winter. 
The joys of missing the mud and puddles to keep your shoes clean!  Chestnut Avenue was tarmac, wasn't it?  When I go back the lanes seem to have got narrower. Not so many could afford cars back then, but wouldn't feel safe walking along them now.

I had a new grand daughter in February and am trying to complete enough of my maternal grandfather's family to make an interesting story for her and her elder brother.  Letting them see how much things have changed.  8)

Thanks for your help
Lee

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 12 May 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Hello Lee,

What you have found looks good to me however, I would seek to eliminate any other possibilities.  The naming of children is generally a good indicator, and the fact that he was 21 when marrying can be seen as another clue.  Of great help would be the death/burial of, the possible father, John White and did he leave a Will?

Notwithstanding any of my Jeremiah like comments, it could come down to a balance of probability and, you may have to go forward on that basis.

I have no problem with the surname of Buly, it is not unique and there are a few such on the West Kent Marriage Index.  Mind you there are also many examples of Bewley (ovt) all may well derive from Beaulieu.

I am not entirely sure of the headmaster in my time; the name Huckle sticks in my mind.  My brother (now passed) was there during the war and, my father before that and the name Hicks rings a bell.  But, maybe I have them muddled up.

There are about three things I can recall; one the Barbers on the Westerham side up from the school entrance.  Dr Rowan's Surgery on the other side of the Road.  Bonbons, was it called, where as a treat we had Ice Cream Soda.  The Fire Station was at the other end of the Village set back from the Main Road.

Chestnut Avenue did have a tarmac finish between the many potholes!  I have a feeling that it may have been a private road but I cannot recall it even being closed.  Before we moved up to Little Betsoms Farm we lived in Palace Road which was a track of the Avenue about half way to the Farm.  My grandparents were Tenant Farmers before Dad took over the tenancy.  Not sure when that was but, I do recall just before we moved out, all the farm equipment was sold, and Dad had the grand sum of about £7 left after clearing all debts.

I am the first in my family to have never worked on the land in the agricultural sense but, did a lot of Land Surveying in my early career.

We have just moved to be nearer our only grandchild in Folkestone.  Pretty certain he will be the one and only.

all the best for now,
Tony