Author Topic: Census Records  (Read 1761 times)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Census Records
« on: Wednesday 12 April 17 23:20 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for Catherine MCLeod born on 6 June 1895 (according to Death Cert).  Her parents were Colin McLeod and Marion Morrison. (Again on Death cert but maybe her son got it wrong)  She died in Glasgow on 1 April 1968 at Glasgow Western Infirmary. Her usual residence was 14 Hotspur Street, Glasgow. She's buried on Western Isles. She was single and a nurse. Her illegitmate son John Paterson registered her death.
I found a Catherine McLeod born in Govan living with her widowed Mother Marion and there was a John Paterson born in Uist living at the address. He was a brother of marions but I'm unsure if this is the same family although the dates would fit in. The address was 8 Wood Street Glasgow on 1911 Census

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Census Records
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tazzy,

I'm confused...does her DC give her actual date of birth (very unusual)?

Have you searched for her in the 1901 & 1911 census' with parents to give her place of birth from which you can look for her BC?

Have you found her parents marriage?

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
I found a Catherine McLeod born in Govan living with her widowed Mother Marion and there was a John Paterson born in Uist living at the address. He was a brother of marions but I'm unsure if this is the same family although the dates would fit in

Can you tell me the approx. years of birth for both Catherine McLeod's widowed Mother Marion & John Paterson born in Uist please & where was Catherine born?

Edit to add was there mention of South or North Uist?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Annie
Some certs do show the date of birth in Scotland. Not unusual though. I will have to check on Scotlands People and just go through the names. Im not sure if she was born in Uist but she was definitely buried there.  Her son John was born i  Paisley Road west Glasgow.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:04 BST (UK) »
Her parents were Colin McLeod

Is it definitely Colin?  There is no Colin McLeod/MacLeod marriage to a Marion Morrison on SP but there is an 1890 for William McLeod/Marion Morrison
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
There is a 1901 entry for a Catherine McLeod aged 6 b Govan - parents John & Marion.  John was a riveter - is his occ shown on the death cert for Catherine?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline tazzy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Yes I did see that marriage and did wander if her son didnt know his Grandfathers name. I will check on Scotlands people website for her birth. Many thanks everyone . I will recheck her death cert

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Carole,

I haven't searched for a marriage yet as I'm wondering about the 'Uist' connection  ;)
Read below my Avatar  ;)

What I can add though is that the name Marion could be recorded as Sarah as they are interchangeable.

I have never seen an exact date of birth on a death cert. hence my questioning of it although I'm not saying it hasn't/didn't happen but we learn something new all the time in genealogy.

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 April 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
I have found a few choices for South Uist, depending on dates/age on census?

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 29
Boisdale

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 18
Boisdale

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 24
Boisdale

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 6
Boisdale

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 2
Boisdale

PATERSON JOHN
118/3 15
Boisdale

I have quite a few deaths where parents names were a bit muddled so not uncommon but a case of finding other info. to establish it was an error.

Annie