Author Topic: Isle of Arran: Gavin Hamilton birth and parents  (Read 2127 times)

Offline HistoryG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isle of Arran: Gavin Hamilton birth and parents
« on: Thursday 13 April 17 04:05 BST (UK) »
Gavin Hamilton (who sometimes used the name Gavoni) indicated in a document that he was born 4 April 1829 at Brodick, Scotland. I am trying to find a registration of his birth on the Isle of Arran,  and would like to find out the names of his parents. I couldn't find anything on Scotland's People for this date. Can anyone help me?

I believe that his family emigrated to the Bay of Chaleur area (Canada) about 1832, and he married there at Escuminac in 1859. But I cannot find any records for his parents there.

Thanks!

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Isle of Arran: Gavin Hamilton birth and parents
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 13 April 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat. The only record I can find for a Gavin Hamilton is for a one born 10/2/1828 on the Isle of Arran, Buteshire, which is a National Archives record. This man was a Merchant Seaman from 1835-1857, so he would only have been a boy when he joined up.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline HistoryG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 13 April 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for checking the National Archives records for me. Probably not my Gavin Hamilton, as on one of the census records for Canada he indicated he'd arrived there in 1832. Thanks for your help!

Offline flyderaght

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 04:29 BST (UK) »
My family(McIntyre) had quite a few connections to the Hamiltons actually. Maybe not that early but I have seen the name Gavin in my tree. It is likely someone just used the name more than anything.
Marc