Author Topic: Fuller family - Witham  (Read 2991 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fuller family - Witham
« Reply #27 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
Quite a gap between Phoebe and Rosella. Could Thomas have married a second Sarah later in life. He could father children in his sixties, but a woman would be unlikely to have a child after she was 50.
There is a marriage in Witham between Thomas Fuller widower and Sarah Wendon on 17 April 1808, witnesses Phoebe Clamp and William Constable.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 21 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
There is a will of a Thomas Fuller blacksmith of Witham dated 1830 which might be your Thomas. He mentions his dear wife Sarah. He does not name any children, but refers to" sons and daughters by his present wife or any former wife". Although not conclusive it might imply more than one former wife. His wife Sarah and son Samuel are executors.

added
a note on the will said Thomas Fuller died in the parish of Witham on 16 May 1829. I can't find him in parish records for Witham. Maybe a non-conformist burial.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 21 April 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
There is a Sarah Wendon born 18 Dec and baptised 31 Dec 1769 in Witham d/o Thomas and Phoebe Wendon. I wonder if Phoebe was widowed and married a Mr Clack and was a witness at her daughter's wedding.
1841 census has a Samuel Fuller age 50 innkeeper (who would fit with Samuel son of Thomas), with a Sally age 70 and Martha age 55. Could be Samuel and wife Martha and Sarah / Sally stepmother. 1851 confirms this Samuel born Witham.

Offline FNEVIK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 21 April 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
I am now working on the theory that Thomas did marry for a third time in 1808.  If I have the son Henry correct, the second Sarah would have been his mother (b. 1809).  What I must have wrong is Sarah Trew's death.  Online, various family trees have gone for 1851.  This MUST be incorrect.  But what does 'throw a spanner in the works' is Rosella's birth in 1807. If she was Thomas' daughter could she have been born out of wedlock?  This was frowned upon in the early 20th century, this would have been a really bad thing in 1807?!  Sarah (Trew) was 38 in 1798 when Phoebe was born so it looks ok up to then.  Sarah must have died between 1798 and 1806?  An accurate death date for Sarah Trew would definitely be the key. It's all like a giant jigsaw!

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 22 April 17 14:29 BST (UK) »
Found in the seax records for Phoebe, the only Phoebe born in that year

Phoebe born 07/02/1798 baptised 18/03/1798 bastard daughter of Sarah Wendon

No father mentioned

Offline Jolee

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 22 April 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Found two more children both described that same as Phoebe
Frances baptised 23/03/1806
Sarah 31/10/1802
Mother Sarah Wendon

Offline FNEVIK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 22 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have had a good look at all my information.  The certainties are that Thomas FULLER married Salome PORTER and had four children. Salome died in 1783.  Marriage, children and death all confirmed in SEAX.  SEAX also has a marriage of Thomas to Sarah TREW in 1784.  The only children from this marriage are those noted on family trees in Ancestry.co.uk.  I need to find out if a death of Sarah Fuller (Trew) is recorded.  This will then allow me to look for a potential third marriage.  This 'could' have been to Sarah Wendon?  and some of Sarah's bastard children 'could' have adopted the Fuller surname?  There is clearly a Thomas Fuller / Sarah Wendon marriage in 1808.  My line of Fullers comes down from Nehemiah Fuller, b. 1794 (1850 death cert. shows age of 56).  However. back in 2006 a relative was told the early 1790s Essex birth records are 'missing' (?)  This may be why no one has ever found Nehemiah's birth recorded.  I wonder if there are any children of Thomas FULLER and Sarah TREW recorded in SEAX??