Author Topic: Mellon family of Bermondsey 1700s-1800s  (Read 1268 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mellon family of Bermondsey 1700s-1800s
« on: Thursday 13 April 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Mary Mellon or Mary Ann Mellon married John Gooda at St Olave Bermondsey on 18 June 1826.

One of the witnesses was a Henry Mellen and so must be a relative.

A John Mellon married Elizabeth Thomas on 7 April 1822 at Newington and one of the signatures here is a Henry Mellon.

While the signature looks a little different, it seems from the 'H' of Henry that this is the same name.

This John Mellon remarried on 8 February 1846 at St Giles Cripplegate and the father is here listed as Henry Mellon, a Wharfinger.

It therefore seems that my Mary Ann Mellon/Gooda and John Mellon were probably siblings.

From the 1841 and 1851 census, Mary Ann Mellon is known to have been born in either Surrey or London, Middlesex. She was widowed in 1847 when John Gooda died and herself died after the 1851 census, but I have never found her death.

From John's April 1859 entry to St Pancras workhouse and his death in St Olave Southwark at the end of the year, his year of birth is known to have been abt 1798 to 1799.

He had two known children, a daughter Sarah Janet (or Jane?) in Southwark in 1824 and a son Henry Detherick/Demerick Mellon born in 1831 and baptised in Holborn in 1832.

At the baptisms of John's children and on his second marriage, John was shown to be a white smith.

I have been unable to find him or his children in the census and so have not been able to see where he was born.

There is a marriage on 24 June 1798 at St Olave Bermondsey, Surrey of a Henry Mellon to a widow Frances Harley.

The witnesses were Danl McNamara & Marie [?R]ickford. They were also witnesses to the next marriage in the register below this one to Thomas Rowe & Elizabeth Davies.

Henry Mellon's signature on this marriage makes it appear this is the same person as on the marriages of John and Mary Ann. See the image attached.

I rather assume that Henry and Frances Mellon who married in 1798 were therefore the parents of both John and Mary Ann. However I would very much like to see if a fresh pair of rootschat eyes might be able to help me further.

I have found the burials of Henry Mellon in Bermondsey in January in 1837 aged 77 (so born c1759-1760) and his wife Frances Mellon in the same place in March 1829 aged 66 (so born c1762-1763).

I however would really like to see if I can crack these Mellons any further and would very much appreciate any ideas or help to try and strengthen these links and this line up..

Thanks,
Jon

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
Re: Mellon family of Bermondsey 1700s-1800s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 00:10 BST (UK) »
St Mary Lambeth 11/11/1846

Charles Hatchard labourer father William - carpenter
Mary Ann Gooda minor father John - farrier
Both of 27 Lambeth Walk

Witnesses Matthew ?
And Eliza Mellon

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 07:59 BST (UK) »
There is also a marriage for a John Mellon (widower) 1st March 1841 to Phillis Pink Cotterell at St George Hanover sq - His father is listed as Henry, occ Wharfinger
Witnesses were John Gooda & Mary Ann Gooda
Address Oxford Buildings

Death March qtr 1843 
Phillis Pink Mellon       
St. Jas. Westr.    1   79
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 23:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks very much for the replies, Jennifer and Rosie.

I had seen the Eliza Mellon witness at that marriage but have never been able to work out who she was. I will keep digging!

And thanks so much for that marriage of John's showing another wife. I can't believe my Gooda ancestors were witnesses which is very exciting.

It seems to show what I suspected that Mary Ann Mellon/Gooda and John/John Henry Mellon were siblings and children of Henry Mellon who died in 1837.

Henry Mellon is now known to have been a Wharfinger.

Wikipedia helpfully gives as explanation of the term:

Wharfinger (pronounced wor-fin-jer) is an archaic term for a person who is the keeper or owner of a wharf. The wharfinger takes custody of and is responsible for goods delivered to the wharf, typically has an office on the wharf or dock, and is responsible for day-to-day activities including slipways, keeping tide tables and resolving disputes.

The term is obsolescent; today a wharfinger is usually called a "harbourmaster".

I have no far been unable to trace the baptisms of any of the children of Henry Mellon and widow Frances Harley.

Indeed I have not found her first marriage as yet.

The only clue I have to her possible maiden is the fact their son John gave his son Henry the middle name Detherick or Demerick.

I also can't find John in either the 1841 or 1851 census which would help pinpoint his place of birth.

The digging continues.

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 21 13:27 GMT (UK) »
To update this thread, another rootschat thread listed below has confirmed Henry Mellon and Frances as Mary Ann Mellon|Gooda's parents thanks to an 1852 rough settlement examination of Mary Ann's in Lambeth where they are named.

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=843247.0

Thanks,
Jon

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 April 22 15:37 BST (UK) »
I have now found the Mellon and Gooda families in the Catholic East Lane Chapel in Bermondsey and have posted about this here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=861610.new#new

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 April 22 11:22 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a third marriage at St Giles Cripplegate 8.2.1846
John Henry Mellon full widower whitesmith Oxford St Henry wharfinger
Mary Lewis full widow John Toole  farmer
wit Sarah Harper and John Beckett

This might just be them in 1851 at Adam and Eve crt  off Castle St Marylebone
John Milton 51 smith Borough
Mary  60 Ireland

Just in case you don't have it -Frances Mellon buried Frying pan Alley 29.3.1829 age 66 St Olaves Sthwark

Ciderdrinker

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 29 April 22 12:20 BST (UK) »
Hi
There's a third marriage at St Giles Cripplegate 8.2.1846
John Henry Mellon full widower whitesmith Oxford St Henry wharfinger
Mary Lewis full widow John Toole  farmer
wit Sarah Harper and John Beckett

This might just be them in 1851 at Adam and Eve crt  off Castle St Marylebone
John Milton 51 smith Borough
Mary  60 Ireland

Just in case you don't have it -Frances Mellon buried Frying pan Alley 29.3.1829 age 66 St Olaves Sthwark

Ciderdrinker

Thanks so much for this.

I did have that third marriage for John and the 1829 burial for Frances, but I had not found the census, which is great! I am really grateful for that!

The enumerator must have misread the original sheet I guess. I now assume that an 1866 death for a Mary Mellon aged 80 in St Olave Southwark is this third wife, as I now know her age. Really am grateful for this find. Thanks!

John Mellon born in 1800 and died 1859 had three wives but only had children by the first one:

FIRST WIFE
Elizabeth Thomas|Mellon
c1804–1839

Elizabeth Mellon
1822–aft 1846 (Baptised at Catholic chapel in Bermondsey)

Sarah Janet Mellon
1824–

John James Mellon
c1826/7–aft 1871 (baptism not found, but parentage proved by marriage certificate)

Henry Detherick|Demerick Mellon
1831–aft 1860

SECOND WIFE
Phillis Pink Cotterell|Mellon
c1807–1843

THIRD WIFE
Mary Toole|Lewis|Mellon
c1791–1866

I have no idea where the Detherick or Demerick name is from, so that is a future area of investigation.

Thanks again,
Jon

Offline jennifer c

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Latest bud on my family tree
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 April 22 13:41 BST (UK) »
Hi, just googled and nothing comes up for Detherick but there are some references to Demerick.

Jennifer
Stevens /Godfrey /Rudgley /Claridge/ Gipson /George /Bliss
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk