Author Topic: John Walker and Mary calder Bathgate 1744  (Read 1720 times)

Offline brent.w

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Walker and Mary calder Bathgate 1744
« on: Friday 14 April 17 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi I live in new Zealand and I am tracing my family from Bathgate.
I have manage to get back to 1744 as per the attached and was wondering if anyone from is from this part of the Walker family and know of anything earlier than this.
I am trying to find which clan the family is from.

many thanks Brent

Offline trevorteppler

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Walker and Mary calder Bathgate 1744
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 May 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
My ggg grandmother was Janet Walker and was married to my ggg grandfather John Dale. Janet i believe was born in 1771. Do you perhaps have any information of her. Unfortunately i have no further info except she died in Bathgate in 1843. Peter Dale (Rev) was one of her sons.
Dale, Hay, Walker

Offline brent.w

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 May 17 00:18 BST (UK) »
Hi I am not sure as the Janet in our family was born in 1799
Attached is a link to our family tree that my cousin has done, i am not sure if you can access though.
https://familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/K67V-ZC3/portrait

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 01 June 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find which clan the family is from.
The clans originated as a social feature of the Gaelic-speaking Highlands, not of the Lowlands. It was only after Sir Walter Scott started romanticising the Highlands, and Queen Victoria built Balmoral Castle and took to (her version of) life in the Highlands that the myth began to arise that every Scot belongs to a clan. The Brigadoon industry does its best to perpetuate this myth, and these days the Standing Council of Clan Chiefs includes the heads of some of the great Border and Lowland families as well as the chiefs of Highland clans.

If your family surname is Walker and they were from Bathgate, then (barring changes of name to conceal their original identity) the overwhelming likelihood is that they had no connection with any clan. 
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 June 17 21:39 BST (UK) »
  Brent,  the Bathgate area came under the influence of the Hamilton's who were habitually involved in conflict & their tenants were summoned when needed so not always a quiet life. The worst feuding in Scotland was in the Lowlands.

Skoosh.