Author Topic: NZ branch of GAMBRILLS -> Petham, Canterbury  (Read 981 times)

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
NZ branch of GAMBRILLS -> Petham, Canterbury
« on: Friday 14 April 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
I research Australian and UK GAMBRILLS. I have done quite a bit of work on my Aussie leg of this name and currently am trying to connect the New Zealand branch of this name to (my) UK Gambrills.

Some areas in my GAMBRILL line - Woodnesborough, Nonington, Barfreston, Temple Ewell amongst a few others.

The NZ leg seems to come from Petham and subsequently have done a bit of research but this branch within my tree is separated as at this stage I haven't found a connection. 

Earliest ancestor connected to NZ i have found so far is Thomas Gambrill b.1805 Petham, his parents seem to be Henry Gambrill and Elizabeth.

Has anyone done research for Petham Gambrills, and do you have a connection to any of the areas I mentioned above?
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: NZ branch of GAMBRILLS -> Petham, Canterbury
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 07:15 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There certainly seems to be a baptism at Petham: 15 Dec 1805, Father: Henry Gambriel, Mother: Elizabeth.

HTH
Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 09:11 BST (UK) »
Thinking about this a little more, i'll have add the siblings to my tree, possibly it was one of those that was an offshoot to the Petham area rather than this direct line.

Lots more work to be done.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline redtonyt

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 10:07 BST (UK) »
I have (in my tree as a very far off relative) Elizabeth Gambrill the sister of your Thomas.  As she was so distant I made little effort to trace her pedigree.  All I had was, she was the daughter of Henry Gambrill and Elizabeth Woodland.  Her parents married at Elmsted 22 October 1800 by Licence.  Although the marriage did not record either parties status, I became suspicious that Elizabeth may have been a widow and possibly Thomas was a Widower.

I found both parents (at Petham) on the 1841 census and Elizabeth (at Petham) in 1851.  The '51 census says that Elizabeth was 86 and born at Chartham; she was living with her son Thomas, born c1806, Petham.  I could not find an Elizabeth Woodland born at Chartham and Gambrills could be found all around Petham so, I never went any further.

It is possible that Henry was born c 1757 and, left a Will in 1844 but again I never investigated this.

A regretful,
Tony  :(

Offline pjm99

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 06:41 BST (UK) »
It seems Elizabeth was also baptised at Petham:

Elizabeth Gambriel, 22 Apr 1804, Father's Name: Henry Gambriel, Mother's Name: Elizabeth
There is also an earlier Thomas, baptised 02 May 1801, who was buried on 10 May 1801.

Peter
Allen, Brown, West - Berkshire
Caesar, Dicker, Lamden, West - Hampshire
Hicks, Martin, Masters - Kent, Middlesex
Hancox/Hancock/Hancocke - Warwickshire
Gardner - Devon
Traylen - Essex & Jersey

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 07:17 BST (UK) »
I found both parents (at Petham) on the 1841 census and Elizabeth (at Petham) in 1851.  The '51 census says that Elizabeth was 86 and born at Chartham; she was living with her son Thomas, born c1806, Petham. 

Ok I have found this. On the 1841 Census it has another Henry Gambrill, aged 20 (b.1821), thus far I havent been able find how he fits in. Guessing he is a grandchild.

It seems Elizabeth was also baptised at Petham:

Elizabeth Gambriel, 22 Apr 1804, Father's Name: Henry Gambriel, Mother's Name: Elizabeth
There is also an earlier Thomas, baptised 02 May 1801, who was buried on 10 May 1801.

Peter

From what I can see, Henry had 2 wives - First was Ann - 3 children associated with them - Henry Gambriel Bap 9 Jan 1780, Ann Gambriel Bap 30 Jun 1782 & Mary Gambriel Bap 7 Nov 1784, all Petham. Then Henry & Elizabeth (must be the Woodland lady, need to look into more) also had 3, Thomas GAMBRILL bap 2 May 1801, Elizabeth GAMBRILL bap 22 Apr 1804 & Thomas GAMBRIEL bap 15 Dec 1805, again all Petham.

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 07:47 BST (UK) »
This looks to be a quite complicated family.  On a quick look that Henry ('41 census) could be a grandson baptised 20 Dec 1818 (Surname Gambrill Woodland!) via Elizabeth Woodland's baseborn son Henry.  He was baptised at Elmsted 19 Aug 1792, and married as Henry Gambrill Woodland (to Sarah Wood) on 16 Jan 1817 at Petham.

Sorry if that does not scan well but, complicated it is.  One of those families that you need to put down on paper to make sure you get it right.

The Marriage Licence and Will may help to sort out the relationships and give some clue to the family pedigree.

Tony

Offline redtonyt

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Woodland also had a baseborn daughter Sophia, baptised at Elmsted on 17 September 1797.

She appears to have married on 20 March 1830, at Petham, as Sophia Gambrill Woodland!

A tangled web,
Tony

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
I searched for a birth for Henry Gambrill ~1761 - 1844. Have narrowed it down to 2. Parents - Henry and Mary, born 1757 in Waltham, or Joseph and Margaret born 1755 in Stelling.

Henry GAMBRILL  Bap ~1757/55?, Buried 8 Feb 1844 Petham
Spouse Ann FOX  Married 5 Aug 1779  Elham
Children 
1. Henry GAMBRILL,   c. 9 Jan 1780, Petham d. Oct 1799  (Age ~ 19 years)
2. Ann GAMBRILL,   c. 30 Jun 1782, Petham
3. Mary GAMBRILL,   c. 7 Nov 1784, Petham

Spouse Elizabeth WOODLAND,   c. 1765, Chartham. Married  22 Oct 1800  Elmsted.
Children 
1. Thomas GAMBRILL,  c. 2 May 1801, Petham  d. May 1801  (Age ~ 0 years)
2. Elizabeth GAMBRILL,   c. 22 Apr 1804, Petham
3. Thomas GAMBRILL  c. 15 Dec 1805, Petham (Thomas married Lucy Boys and its further down this line where it migrates to New Zealand)

The above shows limited paternal line branches and this is what i'm interested in as per initial post,  so-as to connect these Gambrills to ones from Woodnesborough/Barfreston, Nonington and surrounds. 

I need to look into siblings and parents of Henry b~1757/55