Author Topic: Stanton Family early settlers in Nelson  (Read 3325 times)

Offline maria101

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Stanton Family early settlers in Nelson
« on: Friday 14 April 17 06:52 BST (UK) »
Is anyone else researching the Nelson Stantons? I am a gt gt gt granddaughter of Mary Stanton who married  my ancestor William  Lechner in 1856, subesquently leaving and remarrying. All I know about her I have found on Papers Past -she seemed a very astute hardworking woman, who helped manage several hotels in Nelson. I know her last husband was William Dempsey but am unsure of her date of death, or whether she had any more children after she left William Lechner. Would love to make contact with any descendants.

Maria101

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stanton Family early settlers in Nelson
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 18:42 BST (UK) »
Hello maria101

Not sure about persons currently researching STANTON (of Nelson) but there are a number of family trees posted to the ancestry.com website.

Mary STANTON - daughter of William STANTON and Mary (nee HILL) who apparently arrived at Nelson on the ship "Clifford" in 1842.

Also, at same site, numerous "trees" which include a Johannes Wilhelm Theodor LECHNER (a.k.a. John William Theodore LECHNER) who married Mary STANTON in 1856 supposedly at Nelson.

*  Is this the marriage you are referring to ??

I'd be inclined to treat these "LECHNER trees" with some caution.  A lot of the information given seems to have been copied from one tree to the next.   And most of them show Mary (STANTON) the wife of J.W.T. LECHNER, as dying at Richmond in the year 1865. ???

~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 18:54 BST (UK) »

I am a gt gt gt granddaughter of Mary Stanton who married  my ancestor William  Lechner in 1856, subesquently leaving and remarrying. All I know about her I have found on Papers Past -she seemed a very astute hardworking woman, who helped manage several hotels in Nelson.

Mmm ... could really only see (maybe) one item at PapersPast re: a Mary LECHNER ??

Did find the following though >    (3/4 way down column - under "Resident Magistrate's Court")
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/newspapers/TC18830612.2.6

... on behalf of Mrs LECKNER for a protection order.     Mrs LECKNER had not heard from her husband for 15 years ...   [Goes on to mention she was about to enter business at the Forest Inn at Wakefield. ]
 ???
     ~  Lu

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:45 BST (UK) »
Hello Maria 

... looking again at the STANTON trees I mentioned earlier (@ ancestry website) ... these mostly all record that Mary STANTON ( who married John William Theodore LECHNER in 1856) died in 1865[/u].   [I say "mostly" because I haven't looked through all of them - rather too many - but I suspect the info is probably the same.  ::) ]

I've gleaned some info from PapersPast re: Mary which identifies in a round-about way one of her former husbands ... and also some leads to another husband, which may in turn assist in confirming where and when Mary died.   ::)

*   Can you also tell us please, which of Mary's children you descend from ?   

~  Lu

Offline maria101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Lu,
I am gt granddaughter of Richard Ernest, second son of William, also known as Theo in his latter years. I have been chasing him up for several years with some success as he was a journalist, among many other things, and left a trail of correspondence, obituaries, etc in the newspapers of the day, which give clues as to what he was like, but apart from references to the immediate family and news reports about Mary( Lechner, Hollister, Dempsey,) there is little to go on. The older generation who knew her have all passed away!
I have a copy of Mary and William's marriage certificate  -it was in 1856.

Offline maria101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
PS to Lu! I  missed the ref to   Mary Leckner seeking a protection order  -will check it out.
Maria

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Maria

... thanks ... you've just confirmed the connection to HOLLISTER (for Mary) so I don't need to ask you further about that, but can add some info here for you.  ;)

~  Lu

PS :   Fairly sure I've found Mary's death - but just need to do a bit more work to be certain.

Offline Lucy2

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:11 BST (UK) »
Maria ... does that 1856 marriage cert. give the names of the witnesses to the marriage ?

Offline maria101

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 April 17 05:05 BST (UK) »
me again LU,
I have never thought to look up the Leckner spelling as our branch always stuck to Lechner, apart from Theodore who changed to that spelling when he enlisted in WW1  and was killed at Gallipoli. i have just run it through and have found three very relevant snips for William/The and was surprised at how many reports misspelt the name as Leckner.

The witnesses were W.M. Stanton (Mary's brother) and I think C.. Dickens? It was a marriage of convenience as Mary was pregnant to another man. What is your connection to all this?
Maria