Author Topic: Carlops Health Spa 1890s  (Read 1971 times)

Offline subito

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Carlops Health Spa 1890s
« on: Friday 14 April 17 14:06 BST (UK) »
My 3rd Great Grandmother died in Carlops, West Linton, Peebleshire in 1890, although that is not where her residence was. Eight years later, my 3rd Great Grandfather died there as well, although his residence was no where near there. I read a brief blurb in a Gazette that in the late 19th century a health spa was there and there was a healing spring of some sort. It would seem that my ancestors went there when they were near death. Can anyone shed some light on the history of some sort of health spa that may have been there at that time? Thanks very much. Subito

Offline dex

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Carlops Health Spa 1890s
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Subito

The Ordnance Gazeteer of Scotland 1884-1885 has references to the Heaven Aqua Well, a mineral spring on the Rutherford Estate, Linton which is just outside Carlops. The owner at this time was a Mr Philip who also is mentioned as the owner again in 1901. Rutherford House which is on the estate was a coaching house for travellers from 1800 approximately. This is a possible for your ancestors visits there. Do the death certificates have any more detail than Carlops?
Rutherford House still exists as a family home and guest house and you can see the website with a google search.

Dex