Author Topic: Wright of Anston hall  (Read 12803 times)

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wright of Anston hall
« on: Friday 14 April 17 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi I wonder whether anybody can shed some light. A man named Charles Wright of Anston Hall near Sheffield (1852-1926) inherited Willingham House in Lincolnshire in the early 1900s. It is said that he inherited the house from the Boucherett family because he was related. Is anybody able to tell me how they were related? The Boucherett's were also related to the Hewett's of Shireoaks and the Foljambe's in Yorkshire. I can trace Charles back to his grandparents Robert and Elizabeth, though his father Charles (born 1791 in Throapham) but am otherwise stuck. I would be grateful for any help thank you

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Wright of Anston hall
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 14:48 BST (UK) »
In 1901 Emilia J Boucherett was resident at The Hall - Head - Single- age 75-Landowner & Farmer-bn Willingham, Lincolnshire

She died October 1905, maybe her will has more information  ::)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 16:52 BST (UK) »
Sadly it doesn't tell me how they are related.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 17 16:53 BST (UK) »
Did she leave them the Hall or was it another family member  :-\

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Not the answer but a refinement of the dates.  The earliest newspaper mention I have come across of "Charles Wright of Anston Hall" is in April 1889. May help to look earlier than the turn of the century?

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:27 BST (UK) »
Ah just noticed I never looked at her will because as far as I can tell it cannot be viewed? The following information is what I have found online: '1905 Emelia Jessie Boucherett also passed away, ending the Boucherett family since she was the last to bear that surname and had no direct descendents. The ownership of the Willingham estate passed firstly to the Barnes of Sotterly and then to the Wright family of North Willingham.' and 'The final period is even more distinguishable than the preceding three, because after Emelia Jessie Boucherett's death in 1905 the estate's owners no longer bore the Boucherett name, seeing as that line had now vanished. Instead Willingham House passed to the Barnes of Sotterly, with these being the next descendents of the Boucheretts due to an earlier marriage with one of the Boucherett daughters. The final occupants of the house were the Wrights,  also related to the Boucheretts. Of these the first, Charles Wright of North Willingham, died on 10th December 1926 '
I can trace the Wright family back to the late 1700s (1781 with the marriage of Charles's grandparents Robert and Elizabeth) at present but am stuck after this. Looking at the Boucherett's the only vague connection I can make is that in the mid 1700s a man named Ayscoghe Boucherett appears to have had children with a Mary White (there is no trace of her ancestry and I cannot get the two to connect).

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:33 BST (UK) »
The will is available to order from  https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills  but may not help.

You probably need to trace back to the last male Boucherett occupant and look at his siblings and their descendants.  ??? 

Charles Wright of North Willingham, died on 10th December 1926 - newspaper reports say he took his own life

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:46 BST (UK) »
I have done, extensively and there is no connection that I can find. I am literally stuck searching from the Wright side now, but cannot get past Robert Wright of Anston/Throapham (Charles's grandfather), who married his wife Elizabeth in 1781. I am trying to figure out who his parents were, because the only possible link I can see is that he may have had an aunt named Mary who may have been my Mary White/Boucherett (similar enough to Wright). I also know that this Mary White was somehow connected to a James Wright, who sent her a letter from Bushy park in 1788. This is as far as it gets. Its the 18th century I am stuck in I think

Offline wildwitch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 14 April 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of any pedigree for the Wrights of Anston Hall? Or of Throapham? (both Yorkshire, near Sheffield)