Author Topic: Adkins / Atkins / Stapleton in Ampthill Shillington  (Read 2701 times)

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adkins / Atkins / Stapleton in Ampthill Shillington
« on: Friday 14 April 17 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out what happened to William Adkins / Atkins (b circa 1845 in Ashwell, Herts) and Ruth Adkins / Atkins nee Stapleton (b circa 1859 in Stondon, Bedfordshire) . They are in the 1881 census at Ampthill Shillington with their son Joseph. They have another son Alfred born in 1884 and another son Herbert born in 1886. By 1891 the 3 boys are in the Ampthill workhouse. They are discharged from the workhouse in early 1900 and are all on the 1901 census living on their own in seperate locations. I have the workhouse records that are available for the family. The parents are never mentioned as living in the workhouse. I can't find them on the 1891 or 1901 census. The surname "Adkins" is used by the family until the workhouse and then the boys start using "Atkins". I have looked in the GRO for deaths but don't see any that really fit. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adkins / Atkins / Stapleton in Ampthill Shillington
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 19:23 BST (UK) »
Oh dear something must have happened for the boys to be in the workhouse in 1891  :(

I can't see any obvious deaths for the parents nor can I find the boys in 1891 - what name are they under? **

** Ok I see it under Alkins
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 19:38 BST (UK) »
Quite a short window for the parents to "disappear" isn't it - son born 1886 and by 1891 the family is no longer together  ???

Have you got any marriages for the boys?  Presume they would say father deceased.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply - the boy Alfred got married in in 1929 and he gives his father William as deceased - the boy Herbert (he was born in the Ampthill workhouse in 1886) got married in 1911 after he emigrated to Canada (1906) and he has his father as William but in Canada we don't have to put whether they are deceased - the boy Joseph joined the navy and he put his father down as "Joseph" - I don't think this boy got married at least his naval records don't have a wife listed - Herbert put the wrong given name down for his mother on his marriage certificate (her last name was correct)  - that makes me think the boys didn't really have much contact with their parents - this family (for many generations) went by their middle names and continue to do so to this day (that never makes it easy)

Offline jennaadkins87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 10 May 18 14:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am trying to find out what happened to William Adkins / Atkins (b circa 1845 in Ashwell, Herts) and Ruth Adkins / Atkins nee Stapleton (b circa 1859 in Stondon, Bedfordshire) . They are in the 1881 census at Ampthill Shillington with their son Joseph. They have another son Alfred born in 1884 and another son Herbert born in 1886. By 1891 the 3 boys are in the Ampthill workhouse. They are discharged from the workhouse in early 1900 and are all on the 1901 census living on their own in seperate locations. I have the workhouse records that are available for the family. The parents are never mentioned as living in the workhouse. I can't find them on the 1891 or 1901 census. The surname "Adkins" is used by the family until the workhouse and then the boys start using "Atkins". I have looked in the GRO for deaths but don't see any that really fit. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

I know I am late on this thread but hoping you still see this. Do you know if William and Ruth marrying produced the surname Stapylton-Adkins (my surname)?

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 10 May 18 15:43 BST (UK) »
I cannot be certain about the Stapylton-Adkins surname. I do know that the Father of the 3 boys left the UK and lived and died in Monroe County, New York. He used the surname "Adkins". I cannot find the Mother of the boys after they were in the workhouse. I cannot find her under the surnames Adkins, Atkins or Stapleton. The son Albert "Herbert" used the surname "Atkins" when he left the UK (btw 1901-1911) and came to Canada. The other two boys (after they left the workhouse) were both found using the surnames "Adkins" and "Atkins" in various records in the UK. I have not found them using the "Stapylton-Adkins" surname.

Offline jennaadkins87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 11 May 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Janis,
Thank you very much for your prompt response!
I know, from my relative Dawn doing her genealogical book (James Rattray and his Descendants in South Africa) that we did come from the Stapletons originally.
Perhaps this could help you - I see the name Joseph in here? http://nltaylor.net/things/rpt_Stapleton.htm

Offline jennaadkins87

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 11 May 18 07:18 BST (UK) »
Have you tried searching for Ruth under the variation spelling of Stapylton?

Offline janismccahill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 11 May 18 15:09 BST (UK) »
I have tried everything - I think she must have remarried or perhaps passed away. You have peeked my interest and I will look again. Good luck with your search