Author Topic: Really old, faded and properly crease damaged right through a lady's face...  (Read 1239 times)

Offline weemantam

• RootsChat Member
  • If you think education is expensive, try ignorance
    • View Profile
Easy one to begin with (sort of) I have a small collection of photos which I am trying to attribute to individuals. This first one is well damaged but I think there is enough of it remaining to have a guess, not to mention the style of processing which may have been used... anyone?
Fife esp Burntisland, Dysart, Lochore, Cowdenbeath, Dalgety
Gibb, Armour, Simpson, Thayne, McTrusty, Brennan, Bird, Thomson
Ewens, Dickson, Banks, Davidson, Howie, McLaren, Adamson

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Really old, faded and properly crease damaged right through a lady's face...
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
my try

Offline loord74

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Really old, faded and properly crease damaged right through a lady's face...
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 20:37 BST (UK) »
bw

Offline weemantam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi loord74,. thanks for your efforts, I am mostly, however after an estimated date for the photo rather than a repair (though I will keep the repair with thanks!)

Offline weemantam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 April 17 21:33 BST (UK) »
I have done my own repair but the rhs of the face is a bit of a guess.... still looking for assistance on the year though ...?

Offline Joyful

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My beautiful Mum & Uncle Neil
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 03:37 BST (UK) »
There is not enough detail of the clothes for me at least to even hazard
a guess :'(
Jim or Carol maybe along and could do better :)

Joy
Anderson R&C & Orkney, Jack, Patience, Hood R&C, McVicar Argll & Glasgow, Gourlay Glasgow, Docherty Glasgow, McNicol Argyll, Leask Orkney, Cumming Okney,
Tait Orkney, Brown Orkney, Sinclair Orkney, Craigie Orkney, Foulis Orkney, Beard Gloucester & Bundarra NSW, Pamplin Cambridge & NSW, Ashman Cambridge, McCarthy Ireland & Glen Innes NSW, Raleigh Ireland, Connelly Ireland, Waldron Ireland.
UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weemantam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 11:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Joy, I look forward to their opinion :)

I felt that the cracks on the photo were gaps rather than missing portions on the image so I closed up the gaps with the attached result, makes for a slightly less "robust" person.

Whilst its a complete guess, I don't think the woman in the photo is all that old, perhaps in her 40's or 50's. I have been told the person in the photo was an individual born in 1839 which suggests the image is perhaps between 1880 and 1890 though I suspect a smidge earlier.

She is either wearing a dark bonnet which is close to the top of her head and has decorative side 'puffs' or has a a hair style of similar description. I suspect the latter due to the lighting impyling a centre parting on her hair. This, If Ive read correctly seems to have been popular between the 1870's and 1890's. She seems to be wearing a bodice of sorts (suspected by the vertical stripes which can be just made out) and a chevron patterned shawl.

The shawl is the real hindrance here since it covers up much of the indicators of what fashion (if any) the wearer had on display. The bigger probelm, of course, is that there is no real trend to what the wife of a 19th century coal miner and a god fearing presbyterian Fifer may have adorned herself with, even "for special" back then.

I suspect a better clue to the photo date may come from the photo condition itself, with the fairly rare and faded processing technique . This one has the hallmarks of being a Cabinet Card popular between 1875 and 1895 and (though you cant see it in the copy of a copy I have, there does appear to be an artistic underscore. The sepia tone apparently suggests it is the earler of this type of image i.e. in the 1880's.

It's a shame I cant get hold of the woman who gave me this image (it was a few years ago now) since she could undoubtedly tell me more....

Anyway, opinions still welcome :)

Online Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 15 April 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
I'm no expert but the half tone type of appearance makes me wonder if this is a copy of a newspaper or some such periodical, photo. We need Jim's input  :)

Offline weemantam

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 15 April 17 12:45 BST (UK) »
Well spotted but it's poor quality is by virtue of it being an inket printout I was given years ago. I cant get hold of the original owner of the image to try and procure somethine a bit better, so, unfortunately this is all I have to work with... :(