Author Topic: Billy Thomas  (Read 1076 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Billy Thomas
« on: Friday 14 April 17 19:21 BST (UK) »
Can someone please help; I am trying to learn what ship three welsh boxers sailed on from the UK to Sydney in January 1929.  I found snippets on the trove site for Jan 18 saying they were on their way and another snippet saying they will be in Sydney soon but I have not found when they actually arrived.  I would appreciate help locating the name of the ship Freddy Welsh, Tancey Morgan and Billy Thomas embarked for Australia.

Regards Roy

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Billy Thomas
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 April 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Would the names of these men be their 'professional' name? If so do you have their birth names? They may be recorded on the passenger lists under those names.

JJ

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 April 17 23:50 BST (UK) »
They were in Australia by the 30th Jan 1929
http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article183975011

It would help if you gave their years of birth.

A couple of possibilities.

There is a Mr W THOMAS, 22, Engineer, fitter, who departed London on the ORSOVA on 8 Dec 1828, ticketed to Sydney.  Country of last pemanent residence, Wales.  County of intended permanent residence, Australia.  Last address in Wales - 7 Groesfaem Tce, Bangoed, Glan.

Next on the manifest is a Mr T MORGAN, 21, Engineer, who departed London on the ORSOVA on 8 Dec 1928, ticketed to Sydney.  Country of last permanent residence, Wales.  Country of intended permanent residence, Australia.  Last address in Wales - 175 Cronmwell Road, Newport Mon.

The ORSOVA arrived Fremantle WA 8 Jan 1929 and Sydney 17 Jan 1929.

Cando

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
I think that's them Cando.  Inbound to Fremantle gives an address as c/- S. SULLIVAN 29 Flinder's Street, Sydney.  That would be 'Slam' SULLIVAN.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103456846

The third person is recorded as W. WILLIAMS so perhaps that was WELSH's real name?

Debra  :)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 03:19 BST (UK) »
Who was (Young) Freddy/Freddie WELSH, featherweight champion of Wales?  Not this bloke because he died in 1928.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freddie_Welsh

Debra  :)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 03:50 BST (UK) »
I did wonder about Mr WILLIAMS so....

Mr W WILLIAMS 21 years, engineer, departed London on the ORSOVA on 8 Dec 1928, ticketed to Sydney.  Country of last permanent residence, Wales.  Country of intended permanent residence, Australia.  Last address in Wales, 65 Chainworks Road, Pontypridd, Glam.

The three tickets for THOMAS, MORGAN and WILLIAMS were numbered 567, 568, 569 respectively.

Cando

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 15 April 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
Since posting original query I have learnt; Billy Thomas was his boxing name, his birth name was William Thomas, born 1906 Merthyr, father James Lloyd Thomas.  Thanks to each of you for your input, very much appreciated. 

Terence Tancy Morgan, born 1908 Tirphil, Glamorgan, residence Newport.

Freddy Welsh? not the great Freddie Welsh, Welsh World lightweight boxing champion. Born in Pontypridd, Wales, and christened Frederick Hall Thomas, died in New York.  The Freddy Welsh who went to Australia with Billy Thomas and Terence
Morgan was another boxer who it appears stayed in Australia and possibly ended his career there.

anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 July 17 04:45 BST (UK) »
You may be interested in the following current thread on the Australia board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=775204.0

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.