Author Topic: Help in finding grave, Linden Hill cemetery, N.Y.  (Read 1183 times)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help in finding grave, Linden Hill cemetery, N.Y.
« on: Saturday 15 April 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
My friend is visiting New York next month; she hopes to find the grave of her grandfather, Capt. Owen Owens of Wales, died May 2/3 1917. She has their website but would be most grateful if someone could make her search easier by telling her what help she may expect from the cemetery authority in respect of maps, directions, references, whatever.
              In grateful anticipation,
                                 Pinot

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Help in finding grave, Linden Hill cemetery, N.Y.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 17 01:02 BST (UK) »
If your friend has located the website, then there is probably a contact address, so why doesn't she just contact the cemetery directly?
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:50 BST (UK) »
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 01:10 BST (UK) »
In addition to the above comments, keeping in mind every cemetery office is different:
Most of the Ontario, Canada cemeteries I visited had wonderful staff and appeared to go out of their way to help me locate graves and most gave me maps to find the gravesites.

When looking for my husband's relatives/ancestors in California, the staff were also very helpful.  One cemetery office had all of their records computerized, and (after he explained his relationship to the deceased) they even provided information about who else was buried in the plots.

Depending upon the size and upkeep of the cemetery, they may also have a "grave locator" located near the entrance, which helps to pinpoint where graves are located.

PS  If there is any doubt that Mr. Owens may not be buried in the cemetery, she may want to contact the office in advance so that she can look elsewhere, if need be.
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline pinot

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks to all for your replies, particularly Ray and Lisa  :)