Author Topic: Jewish marriages  (Read 1881 times)

Online brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
Re: Jewish marriages
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 22 April 17 22:48 BST (UK) »
I was told

When i visited a local synagogue that a woman wouldn't be able to convert if she was pregnant or had had children with the man as then she would be deemed sinful

And that any conversion is a long slow process !

I also had a question about deaths i wonder if a Synagogue somewhere would hold better records than civil documents

I sent off for a death cert  of Rachel F...    To find out if she could be a possible sister or sister in law of my great grandfather but her marital status wasn't given on it .....She seems to have died in a workhouse

My great grandfather.s hospital records listed. His religion as other and the doctors seemed very dismissive of his requests about food " he is difficult and asks for something called kosher food"

I hope he got buried in a Jewish cemetery in Wales but his nearest relatives were in Scotland so i don't know if anyone was around to respect his wishes .

He never married after having his illegitimate daughter ....I wonder if that was for religious reasons .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 23 April 17 02:10 BST (UK) »
Josephine,

I would have thought that conversion to Judaism in the 19th century was impossible, which makes your family sound all the more intriguing.

What leads you to believe that the mother of the man who married in 1852 and of the woman who married in 1855 was Christian?

Can you tell me the names of the people involved?

As far as I can tell the spiritual authority of the Chief Rabbi was acknowledged by of England's Ashkenazi communities from 1780.

Justin

Justin,

Thank you for your interest. I'm going to send you a PM, because we've kind of gotten off track from the original post. I hope that's okay; I just don't want to derail this thread.

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 23 April 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Josephine, there was certainly penal laws against non-conformists in Scotland, those against Episcopalians were not lifted until 1792, none against Jews.

Skoosh.

Offline Josephine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Photo: Beardstown, Illinois
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 23 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Skoosh, very interesting!

Regards,
Josephine
England: Barnett; Beaumont; Christy; George; Holland; Parker; Pope; Salisbury
Scotland: Currie; Curror; Dobson; Muir; Oliver; Pryde; Turnbull; Wilson
Ireland: Carson; Colbert; Coy; Craig; McGlinchey; Riley; Rooney; Trotter; Waters/Watters