Author Topic: Surname Interests from Fenwick & Loundoun Ayrshire any connections?  (Read 2252 times)

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
Surname Interests from Fenwick & Loundoun Ayrshire any connections?
« on: Saturday 15 April 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello all
Just posting surname interests for parishes of Fenwick & Loundoun 1700-1870s
HOWIE ,YOUNG,WOODBURN,MITCHELL,WYLIE,
Be pleased to hear from anyone who wants to discuss and brainstorm these families who all seemed to intermarry
Feel free to pm for private contact
Thanks
Julie-Ann
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng
CRESSWELL -Nelson NZ Cornwall Eng

BROWN-England-Gisborne NZ Whaling connection
Scotland Interests
Fife- Fortune,Mason,Motion,Gray,
Fenwick and Loundoun Parishes-HOWIE/WYLIE/YOUNG/WOODBURN/MITCHEL
USA/British America interests
HOWLAND/VANSICKLE/TILLEY/LOTHROPP/COBB
 Canada ---MOLLARD-
,SIGGLEKOW/SCHWASS-Nelson NZ,

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Interests from Fenwick & Loundoun Ayrshire any connections?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 17 16:47 BST (UK) »
My paternal grandmother was Elizabeth Woodburn (1869 - 1940), the daughter of Alexander Woodburn (1836 - 1904) and Catherine Kenna (dates uncertain).Going back from there:William Woodburn ((1811 - 1873) & Margaret Templeton (1811 - 1880); Alexander Woodburn (b. 1782) & Margaret Perrie/Pirrie (b.1781): Willam Woodburn (b.1757) & Janet Mitchell (b.1760) ; William Woodburn (b.1733) & Agnes Mitchell (b.1734); William Woodburn (b.?) & Isabel Hamilton (b.?).

Sadly, my hard drive (not backed up) got fried a couple of years ago so I have lost my electronic data, but I do have quite a lot of hard copies of file if you are interested in this family.
Ian
PS Probably more accurate to read  "b. " as Baptised
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 15 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
I have Ayrshire Woodburns, I don't have my info in front of me right now though.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian thanks for response
I tentatively have Robert WOODBURN b1796 Loundoun  marrying Janet MITCHELL born 1800 Fenwick Nov 1820 ( Their son Robert b1836c fenwick ended up in NZ and is my 3xgt)
Roberts parents i have as Alexander WOODBURN b1759 and Mary CROZIER b 1762
and Alexanders parents as William WOODBURN  b 1729 and Agnes MITCHELL
I see from yours same names but different dates
Ive found so many marriages with all these surnames in the mix im treading slowly...

My paternal grandmother was Elizabeth Woodburn (1869 - 1940), the daughter of Alexander Woodburn (1836 - 1904) and Catherine Kenna (dates uncertain).Going back from there:William Woodburn ((1811 - 1873) & Margaret Templeton (1811 - 1880); Alexander Woodburn (b. 1782) & Margaret Perrie/Pirrie (b.1781): Willam Woodburn (b.1757) & Janet Mitchell (b.1760) ; William Woodburn (b.1733) & Agnes Mitchell (b.1734); William Woodburn (b.?) & Isabel Hamilton (b.?).

Sadly, my hard drive (not backed up) got fried a couple of years ago so I have lost my electronic data, but I do have quite a lot of hard copies of file if you are interested in this family.
Ian
PS Probably more accurate to read  "b. " as Baptised
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 15 April 17 23:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks for reply :) be cool to hear from you
I have Ayrshire Woodburns, I don't have my info in front of me right now though.
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 17 10:54 BST (UK) »
Apologies for the delay.  I have:

John Woodburn married to Margaret Hunter.  They were from Craigie, Ayrshire, a farm that is close to Crossroads and Hurlford.

Their son John (baptised 1747) moved to Aird Farm in Glaston and he was married to Ann Guthry/Guthrie.

Their son David married Jessie Caldwell from Kilmarnock in 1797 and they ended up settling in Dalmellington but  I believe David's siblings may have remained around Galston (Loudon) area.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline IanB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Julie-Ann: I have looked through my files and, although there is a similarity of names, I do not think we are from the same family, except perhaps several generations further back.  The use of traditional Scottish naming pattern can be a help or a hindrance, the latter because of cousins having identical first and last names , compounded by the absence of the mother's name in some earlier Parish registrations. Alexander, William & Robert were names frequently given to Woodburns, while Agnes & Janet were often given to Mitchells. I am sorry I could not be of help.
However, there is one piece of family lore you find interesting and may connect with, and that is our supposed relation to George Woodburn the Covenantor/martyr? Who at one time was a tenant of Loudon Mains (farm).
Good luck,
Ian
Morrison, MacKay, MacCulloch, Sutherland, Dingwall, MacLeod, Donn, Calder,Blyth/Blythe; Baxter; Woodburn;Fleming;Hobkirk

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hello thanks for reply im not sure of any connection at this point..I have seen the WOODBURN=s from Glaston in my internet travles some interesting graves on findagrave :)
Apologies for the delay.  I have:

John Woodburn married to Margaret Hunter.  They were from Craigie, Ayrshire, a farm that is close to Crossroads and Hurlford.

Their son John (baptised 1747) moved to Aird Farm in Glaston and he was married to Ann Guthry/Guthrie.

Their son David married Jessie Caldwell from Kilmarnock in 1797 and they ended up settling in Dalmellington but  I believe David's siblings may have remained around Galston (Loudon) area.
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-

Offline juleznz

• RootsChat Member
  • who am i
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:26 BST (UK) »
Hello Ian thank you for looking...yes im finding repeat names in each generation and all intermarrying...im relying on scotlandspeople,freebdms,census ( which are just as confusing with identical names lolz) ..your names thru 3 gens are almost a match for mine except for dates quite out..it causes me to doubt if im tracking my lot properly
Thanks again :)

Hi Julie-Ann: I have looked through my files and, although there is a similarity of names, I do not think we are from the same family, except perhaps several generations further back.  The use of traditional Scottish naming pattern can be a help or a hindrance, the latter because of cousins having identical first and last names , compounded by the absence of the mother's name in some earlier Parish registrations. Alexander, William & Robert were names frequently given to Woodburns, while Agnes & Janet were often given to Mitchells. I am sorry I could not be of help.
However, there is one piece of family lore you find interesting and may connect with, and that is our supposed relation to George Woodburn the Covenantor/martyr? Who at one time was a tenant of Loudon Mains (farm).
Good luck,
Ian
BIXLEY- any
SALT -Staffordshire eng

Scotland Interests
 Canada ---MOLLARD-