Author Topic: flynn  (Read 1292 times)

Offline seamusskye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
flynn
« on: Saturday 15 April 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
hi,
i am researching patrick flynn who married mary gorman both from mayo,they moved to england around 1850,
regards,
seamusskye

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: flynn
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 15 April 17 14:19 BST (UK) »
You don't specifically say what information you are looking for.  Does this message board post relate to the same Patrick Flynn and Mary Gorman  ???

http://www.irelandxo.com/ireland/mayo/message-board/help-0

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline seamusskye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 13:50 BST (UK) »
hi,
yes they are the same and i am looking for any information about them in ireland,
regards

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
Someone found the marriage registration for Patrick Flynn and Mary Gorman and suggested you viewed - this may show you the parents names and then you could take your search forward from there.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:56 BST (UK) »
One of the replies on that other forum is a bit misleading-
As you GG grandparents were children at the time of Griffith's valuation, their parents would be listed on Griffiths.  You don't know their parents' names, but most likely if you find townlands where Flynns and Gormans both lived, that could be a starting point for further research.

'Their parents' will not be listed. Not everyone is listed in Griffith's Valuation- only if they had land and it's only the head of household who's name appears in the valuation. Since the names are not uncommon there is a very slim chance of using Griffith's to find them somewhere in Mayo.

Start with that marriage record, check the registers to see if you can find their baptisms, children, etc. http://registers.nli.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 16:09 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I can see Mary's baptism in Liverpool and your family in 1871 in Walsall. Do you have them in 1861?

Also, may I just point out that in the linked post to the other site,  you have given much more information than you have on your Rootschat posts. Most responses here have queried your posts because of the lack of information.
It does help people to help you if you provide the information you already know.
Regards
Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline seamusskye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:54 BST (UK) »
hi,
how do i view the marriage listing? and is it in ireland? as none of their children are listed as being born in ireland,the first patrick is born in liverpool around 1859,then mary in 1860,but i cant find them as a family in the 1861 census in liverpool,they appear in the walsall census 1871,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
hi,
how do i view the marriage listing? and is it in ireland? as none of their children are listed as being born in ireland,the first patrick is born in liverpool around 1859,then mary in 1860,but i cant find them as a family in the 1861 census in liverpool,they appear in the walsall census 1871,

Did you not read the replies on the other forum at the time?

"I looked at www.rootsireland.ie and found a marriage record for a Patrick Flynn marrying a Mary Gorman in 1854 in Co. Westmeath.  It would be worth viewing I think?  Registration is free but it costs about €5 to view the record."

Lots of Irish Catholic parish registers are online free (I posted link earlier) but it would take a while to check under each county to find that particular record so you might want to follow up what was posted in 2014 there by registering then paying to view the record.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 20:44 BST (UK) »
I am not sure at all about the marriage which someone has given you. That marriage is Westmeath but Patrick and Mary show Mayo in 1871. I would be cautious there until you can find out more.

As I wrote earlier, Mary shows in Liverpool Catholic Baptisms but I can't see Patrick nor can I see their births in the indexes.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk