Author Topic: Johanna Cremin  (Read 9904 times)

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Cremin
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 02:13 BST (UK) »
I'm sorry that the census info did not come through to you. I have this link for the same census. I hope this one you can open. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MM5L-839 No matter where I go, the census's are only found on genealogy sites in which some you have to register and others pay for their postings. Familysearch.org is a free site.
Every time I searched for the 1900 census it would not come up so I left his birth year off and it came up. This census has his birth year at 1866 which is incorrect (as his certificate states he was born in 1865).
I have all the info of John Foley and Johanna Cremin's children but I did not have anything about Johanna until you found siblings for me. So now I need to complete the siblings of Johanna and their lives along with solving when John and Johanna came to America. It would be so wonderful to have a relative connect with me that is from Johanna Cremin's line or even John Foley's line.
Thank you for your help!
Foleygirl,
Trudy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 02:52 BST (UK) »
A birth, emigration year etc. Depends on the month of the year it was asked, how the question was asked and if the person knew the correct answer or not.

Many people simple didn't know their birth year never mind the month or date, and if the did know it depends if the question is asked before or after their birthday that year what answer they give.
If you were asked how many years you were in a country rather than what year you arrived, you may say 10 years rather than 10 years 2 months which could change the appearantly year of arrival, or you could be on route over the new year.

Put simply you always have to allow a few years each side when you are searching.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 14:35 BST (UK) »
I agree with Sinann that the "mistakes" you are seeing are very typical.  The census information could have come from anyone, even neighbors, (the 1940 census is the first to mark who the informant was), and people tended to forget when events occurred when they were asked about it years later.  In my experience, Irish immigrants from that time frame were particularly bad at keeping the same birth year from record to record.

Do you have any specific information indicating that they sailed through New York?  If not, I would check other East coast ports, particularly Canadian ones since these folks wound up in the north and the Canadian railway may have been the easiest route at that time. 

Offline celtic liberty

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Allihies, West Cork, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 15:54 BST (UK) »

Hi Trudy,

I had a look at the Ellis Island records and their is an entry for John Foley on the Anchoria in 1899 from Glasgow ???  I wonder if the ship stopped off at Liverpool or Queenstown??? 

http://libertyellisfoundation.org/passenger-result    You might have to scroll down to find the exact one.

Mary
Celtic Liberty
Bradfield, Buckley, Capels,Cronin, Desmond, Leonard, Lombard,Mullins, O'Brien,

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 16:56 BST (UK) »
I think this is the correct passenger list - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVPJ-3S5T  It has Johannah listed as Hannah.

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 18:16 BST (UK) »
OH my goodness!! Shelleyesq you found them!!!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I have spent days and many hours searching through passenger lists. I went with the obvious and went to the RMS Aurania passenger list site to find that there were ships going out of Queensland and to New York throughout 1889 but at the site many ship records were missing for 1889. I then went to www.immigrantships.net, then to www.gjenvick.com, www.Cunradline.com, www.norwayheritage.com, ancestry.com, familysearch.org, Ellis Island, and so on.
How you found this link through family search amazes me for I went to that site several times and took advice from others and expanded the year dates a few years and left off the ship name after I couldn't find info from the Aurania. I even found an entry at this same site for John Foley, arrival date of May 16, 1889 aboard the ship, Spain which departed Liverpool Queenstown in destination to Wexford and port of arrival to New York. On this ship was listed Johanna Crimmin age 20 and Bridget Crimmin age 18. I was trying to find the full passenger list to see if I could find Julia Loughnane Foley but hadn't found it yet. Again at this site I found John, Julia, James Foley aboard the ship named, Alabama which arrived April 22, 1889. The departure dates didn't work for my family had a marriage and birth of a child in Ireland that didn't correspond with the dates.

It's amazing you found this. You all have been so wonderfully kind in all your efforts spent on my life's puzzle of finding my ancestors. I thank you all with my entire heart!!!! What a birthday present this has been for me. I'll have to make note in my heritage book that all you women had helped me find my grandparents and beyond during my birthday week and today (the day before) my birthday I find the ship that brought them to America. I can not express the joy enough.
You all are wonderful!!!
With much appreciation and love,
foleygirl,
Trudy

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
To Sinann, dathai, Shellyesq, and Celtic liberty,....this is who you helped me find. https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=Foley&GSfn=John&GSby=1865&GSbyrel=in&GSdyrel=all&GScntry=4&GSob=n&GRid=48397025&df=all&

Now I'm continuing my search for Johanna Cremin's line before she married John.
Thank you again for finding all that you've found for me.
foleygirl,
Trudy

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:18 BST (UK) »
That's great Shellyesq, I'd looked at that set on FamilySearch as well and didn't find them.

I had started to see if I could find siblings for John but was getting a bit bogged down in it and haven't had time to look since but could you clear up one or two things foleygirl.

John's mother Julia clearly didn't travel with him to America.
Do I remember correctly that she did go to America as did some of her other children before John went?
Do you already have any names for her other children?

Happy Birthday for tomorrow and thanks for showing us the photograph, it's always good to put a face to the names.

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 05:50 BST (UK) »
Sinann, I tried to answer your questions earlier but just as I was half way done with my email,....Google had an issue and everything shut down and I lost the reply. To answer your first question, ....
I had bits of pieces of handwritten notes and documents that was shared with me by a distant cousin  I was given info without sources so I tried to find proof. I was told that Johanna Cremin Foley traveled with John Foley, wife Johanna, and infant baby, Julia on the Aurania in 1889 but I could never find proof until Shellesq found it on familysearch.org., however Julia Loughnane Foley (John's mother was not listed). So obviously Julia Loughnane Foley traveled at a different time on possibly a different ship. I do not have the ship records of when Jeremiah and Julia Loughnane's children came to America. The older relative gave me this info without proof of the children in which they were all born in Ireland;
Mary born 1856 (no other info)
Bridget born 11 June 1857 (no other info)
Nora born Apr 1860 (no other info)
Delia born Dec 1858/ married, John Fusz on 25 Jan 1886 in Eagle Rock, Idaho. They are both
         buried here in Pocatello, Idaho at the Mountain View Cemetery. Delia died 30 Oct 1910
         This is the family that Johanna Loughnane Foley lived with until death. Johanna died two
         years before her daughter Delia. Delia died from a respiratory disease.
Timothy born 14 May 1863 (no other info)
John Bernard (my great grandfather) born 10 Cec 1865 in Islandbrack, Ireland
         Married, Johanna Cremin on 24 Feb 1889 in Boherbue (I have birth/marriage/death certificate
         Died, 31 Aug 1946 in Pocatello, Idaho USA both are buried at the Mountain View Cemetery
James born 10 Oct 1870 (no other info)

To answer your second question, yes I have some info of John Foley and Johanna Cremin's children.
Child 1. Julia- born 14 July 1889 Islandbrack ( I had only the year)
            Married- Arthur J. Bozarth on 27 Feb 1906 Pocatello, Idaho (no children found yet)
            Died- 7 July 1980 in Alameda, California USA
Child 2. Hannah born 4 July 1891 in Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho USA
            Married- Patrick Alison (no date or place or children found)
            Died- 8 May 1963 Pocatello, Idaho and buried at Mountain View Cemetery
Child 3. Mary Elizabeth born 13 Sep 1892 Pocatello, Idaho
            (nothing found on marriage yet)
            Died- 15 March 1917 Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho buried at Mountain View Cemetery
Child 4. Timothy Jeremiah born 29 Mar 1894 Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho (my grandparents)
            Married- Mabel Elizabeth Burbridge Fraser on 26 Apr 1916 Pocatello, Idaho
            Children; Margaret Elizabeth born 1917 (my mother), Mary Claire born 1919,
                          Dorothy born 1920, Jerry born 1924, last child still living.
            Died- 28 Jun 1893 Pocatello, Idaho and both buried at Mountain View Cemetery
Child 5. Margaret born 28 Jan 1896 in Pocatello, Idaho
            Married- John Evans 4 Dec 1925 Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho USA (no info of children)
            Died- 17 March 1980 in Contra Costa, California USA
Child 6. Lenora born 25 Oct 1897 in Pocatello, Idaho
            Married- Eli Inlestrom in 1918 (no other info found yet)
            Died- 6 Oct 1968
Child 7. John Joseph born 11 May 1899 in Pocatello, Idaho
            (marriage unknown)
            Died- 10 Apr 1950 Pocatello, Idaho buried at Mountain View Cemetery
Child 8. Theresa Josephine born 23 Sep 1901 Pocatello, Idaho
            Died- 5 Jan 1920 Pocatello, Idaho and buried at Mountain View Cemetery
            (She died young from complications from pneumonia and her heart)
Child 9. Florence (Adelle) born 27 Jan 1904 Pocatello, Idaho
            Married- Bryan Garrison on 9 Feb 1924 Salt Lake City, Utah
            Died- 16 Nov 1935 in Salt Lake City, Utah
Child 10. Francis (Casey) born 14 Feb 1906 Pocatello, Idaho
            Married- Wilbur J. Cullen on 14 Nov 1928
            Died- 1 Apr 1948 Pocatello, Idaho and buried at Mountain View Cemetery

With your help I'm getting Cornelius Cremin/Crimmin and Johanna Lane's children found. These are the parents of Johanna Cremin.
I have parents for Julia Loughnane (Jeremiah Foley's wife) and they are;
John Loughnane born 1804 in Islandbrack (no other info found). He married Bridget Breen but no marriage date found yet. John died 6 Dec 1864 in Islandbrack. No birth info found on Bridget Breen but I was given death date being, 4 March 1865 in Islandbrack. This info was part of the paperwork from the older relative. I do not have children for them yet accept for Julia.
I know this is a lot of info but I hope it answers your questions. Thank you again for your help. You all have touched me with your kindness of time and energy spent in helping me find my family.

Heartfelt Appreciation,
Foleygirl,
Trudy