Author Topic: The Scotman Newspaper help please.  (Read 1188 times)

Offline C.Neale

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
The Scotman Newspaper help please.
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 01:51 BST (UK) »
Hi There, can anyone help with this enquiry?

I'm interested in page 14, 17/2/1940 "News of the Services".

I'm told it is connected with:

Lieutenant George Neale (indexed as Xeale so was lucky to find it) on page 14 of The Scotsman, 17/2/40 under the heading ‘Regular Army Emergency Commissions’.

I'm trying to build up a picture of this man who I understand was in the TA Cameronians.

Would anyone be able to help with a scan or copy of that information please?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: The Scotman Newspaper help please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 02:07 BST (UK) »
This may be worth a try;

http://archive.scotsman.com/

I haven't used the site i.e. I'm unsure if you need to be a logged in member to use it nor do I know if it's free?

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 09:09 BST (UK) »
Unless you hold a reader's ticket for the National Library of Scotland or another subscribing library, you need to pay to view the Scotsman digital archive.

Any military appointments are always announced in the London Gazette and Scottish ones are in the Edinburgh Gazette. Both are available to search online free of charge at https://www.thegazette.co.uk/

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
The Scotsman entry is minimal with the date refs you have:

Infantry
Cameronians - G Neale (117886).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:02 BST (UK) »
Now that you have this info, you can follow his career in outline via the Army List (copies in major libraries and at least some issues available on the NLS website). Finding promotions via the London Gazette also works although its search engine is quite adept at not finding items in my experience.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:09 BST (UK) »
I too struggle often with The Gazette. I found it easier...and more successful in searches...a few years ago before they carried out changes to their site. Now, why does that sound familiar!

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline C.Neale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Guys, thank you for the pointers and information, I have checked the London Gazette and found a few hits.

Would be nice to find some additional info, Place of birth, Date of Birth or Death, etc. Might then be able to apply for Service Records, which might open other doors.

Would anyone have any idea how I can narrow down the search results on this George Neale? 

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
As you have his service number and regiment, you should be able to get his service records anyway.

The only plain George Neale (i.e. no other given names) born in Scotland was born in Hamilton in 1906. There is a death of George Neale, aged 74, in 1980 in the 'minor records' which means he died abroad or at sea. See www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk - you can view and download the birth certificate as it is over 100 years ago, but you won't be able to see the death details online as the death was less than 50 years ago.

Added: From the overseas deaths index, it seems that this George Neale died in Genoa (Genova) in Italy.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline C.Neale

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 April 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

Oh I thought I had to now his date of death as well.

Will give that a go.

For some reason I have a feeling he might be older than that with previous service, perhaps even WW1.

But the Service Records should open that box :)

Thank you very much for the help and links, much appreciated.
When I know more I will update this topic.