Author Topic: "Joining the Watts"  (Read 4002 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: "Joining the Watts"
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 16 April 17 12:49 BST (UK) »
Aha!

John Watts and Sarah Lilly marriage. 24 May 1835, Bishopwearmouth, County Durham. Transcribed for FindMyPast by Northumberland and Durham Family History Society.

There's also a transcription of the baptism on 10 March 1805 of Sarah, daughter of John and Jane Lillie, in Coldstream, Northumberland. However it says she was born on 23 December 1805. This is clearly wrong so you absolutely must get a look at the original if you think she might be your Sarah. Note that her age does not tally with the age of Sarah Watt who died in Rothbury in 1843. Also there is at least one other marriage of a Sarah Lilly, in 1834 in South Shields, so there is obviously at least one baptism of a Sarah Lilly missing from the available transcriptions, and there may well be more.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
Aha!

John Watts and Sarah Lilly marriage. 24 May 1835, Bishopwearmouth, County Durham. Transcribed for FindMyPast by Northumberland and Durham Family History Society.

That is spectacularly good work Forfarian, and thank you again for all the help.

...er...since you seem very good at this stuff... the Isabella...the second wife, going by ages on census data, if she lived in Longframlington, can only be either Isabella Bell or Isabella Cowans... 

Can you try to find a Noerthumberland marriage certificate?  It would have to be dated between 1843 when Sarah died and 1846 when the first record of John appears as a baker in Montrose .

- Fraser

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:15 BST (UK) »
HOLD THAT REQUEST

Her maiden name was apparently Robinson  I just found her death certificate in Montrose, widow of John Watt, Baker, died Feb 1875.

It has her listed as Isabella Robinson, daughter of Edward Robinson (Farmer) and Ann Robinson, (looks like nee "Topping".

- Fraesr

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
I already said at the start that I thought she was Isabella Robinson. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769589.msg6220946#msg6220946 above.

I wonder if she is the one married to John Wall in Weardale in the September quarter of 1845 - could Wall be another misspelling of Watt?

Edward Robinson married Ann Toppin in Felton, Northumberland, on 24 January 1810. There are three children listed in the IGI to Edward and Ann Robinson in Longframlington
Ann, 6 August 1815
Isabella, 11 January 1818
Tamar, 5 July 1820
but there could be others not in the index. There are 90 Robinsons in the Longframlington baptism register.

In the 1841 Census, in Longframlington, the next household to John and Sarah's is John Robinson, 65?; Frances Robinson, 50 and Frances Robinson, 15. Next again is George Robinson, 35 with Isabella Robinson, 35; Edward, 14; William, 9; Mary Ann, 5; Isabella, 3; Jane, 1.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
I already said at the start that I thought she was Isabella Robinson. See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=769589.msg6220946#msg6220946 above.

I wonder if she is the one married to John Wall in Weardale in the September quarter of 1845 - could Wall be another misspelling of Watt?

Miss-spellings and miss-interpretations seem common in these things.  My grandmother on the other side of this tree is a "Moyes".  her birth certificate has Mary Thomson Moyes" but her marriage certificate just has Mary... and "Moyies"  :D  Joy... ::)

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:24 BST (UK) »

Aha...I just read that again...and her son Edward was the one who signed the date certificate ... which is weird, because Edward doesn't appear in the 1851 Scottish Census. ??

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
which is weird, because Edward doesn't appear in the 1851 Scottish Census. ??

Duh   Yes he does, at 3 years old...so it all matches just perfectly...   :P :P

Offline DrT33th

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:31 BST (UK) »
Hi all... Your assistance tonight has been spectacular.  Thank you... but it is getting late here Down Under, and bedtime.

So, thank you all again...I am off for a kip!!   :) :)

- Fraser

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 16 April 17 13:33 BST (UK) »
I did sort of wonder when you were going to need some sleep - sweet dreams!