Author Topic: Lindley Family - gold miners  (Read 3864 times)

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Lindley Family - gold miners
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:11 BST (UK) »
The death registration for Frances Ada Scowcroft nee Lindsay ( born 10 September 1899) passed away in California 16 September 1985 shows her mother's maiden name was Law  - father Lindsay - so you were way, way off the mark and following the wrong family.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 16 April 17 21:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra - Yes, right family this time and as you say way off the mark.  That's a disappointment then that the sons went as gold miners!!  So the Scowcroft branch Frances Ada is wrong as well?
Marie :-[
McMullen, Gleave, Kelly, Scholes, Mather, Phillips, Lock

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 11:05 BST (UK) »
I wonder if anyone can help me sort this out?  I thought it was simple that I'd just confused my Fanny Lindsay, Cox family as there were many names the same but alas I'm still having problems and think that maybe they are still connected to the Canadian family.  Could there be so many names and connections with the same name?  I've spent most of the holiday weekend looking them up.  I have confirmed that Fanny was married to George Lindsay in Manchester 1882.  He died 1898 and she arrived back at Liverpool from Quebec on ship Lake Huron 1898. I have confirmed she married Francis Cox in Manchster in 1899.
One of the daughters Frances Ada Lindsay was definitely living in Canada in 1899 and married there.
1911 Census shows family including Walter Fred in England

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9P-TXX5?from=lynx1&treeref=LKG1-9W6

I have also found Frances Lindsay visiting Manchester 1911

https://familysearch.org/search/record/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3A%22Frances%20Ada%22~%20%2Bsurname%3ALindsay~%20%2Bbirth_place%3AManchester~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1887-1890~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3AGeorge~%20%2Bfather_surname%3ALindsay~%20%2Bmother_givenname%3A%22Frances%20Sarah%20Fanny%22~%20%2Bmother_surname%3AMcMullen~
Perhaps they found gold with the help of Mr Sanderson and could afford to go backwards and forwards to and from England?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 13:38 BST (UK) »
The Frances McMullen who married George Lindsay in Manchester in 1882 had 4 children as shown on the attached table.  I think the Frances Lindsay you have visiting Canada is some other person with the same name.  I do not show Francis Cox in the table, but there is no doubt he was married to the Frances shown there.  Sarah Ellen Lindsay married either John Edward ANSON or Joseph MASSEY in Manchester Jan-Mar 1910.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Birth of Frances LINDSEY, mother's surname McMULLIN registered Manchester Oct-Dec 1887.  Where was this 3 year old in the 1891 census and 13 years old in 1901?

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Frances Lindsay age 2 death registered Manchester Oct-Dec 1890.  This is very very likely the daughter of George Lindsay & Frances McMullen.

Offline manawakian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Frances COX death registered Manchester North Jul-Sep 1930 age 66.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 16:31 BST (UK) »

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9P-TXX5?from=lynx1&treeref=LKG1-9W6

I have also found Frances Lindsay visiting Manchester 1911

Perhaps they found gold with the help of Mr Sanderson and could afford to go backwards and forwards to and from England?

The spreadsheet in reply 39 repeats the transcriptions already given in reply 34 and 35 and contravenes RootsChat Copyright Policy by quoting the 1911 census - 1911 transcriptions are not allowed.

The 1911 Canadian Census quotes a Walter Sanderson as spouse of Frances Lindsay and father to Walter, Joseph and Alfred but that would appear to be a possible error. The 1916 Census Arborfield 02, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan showed that Frances was still married to Eli - but you do not now think it is your family.

Reference - reply 38 - The census you quote in your reply 38 is the 1911 census of Kootenay British Columbia not England.

Quote :- One of the daughters Frances Ada Lindsay was definitely living in Canada in 1899 and married there.

Frances Ada Lindsay was the daughter of Eli and Frances and you say this is not your family  -   This shows her baptism - Female - Baptism Date 24 Sep 1899
Baptism PlaceHednesford, Stafford, England - Father Eli Lindsay
Mother: Frances

Think you are still very confused.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online daisynook

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 17:04 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all your work Sandra.  I agree Frances Ada is not mine and yes the entry for Walter Sanderson is obviously wrong.  Frances was not his wife she was travelling just with her children.  I think the entry for Ada's parents Frances and Eli clarifies they are definitely not the same family.