Author Topic: John Waterfield  (Read 812 times)

Offline Liz Atkin

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Waterfield
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 12:05 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find a death for John Waterfield who married Alice Juliana Kirby. All I know is that they married 1825 St Margaret's, Leicester. On my g grandfather's marriage cert (Charles) he was a Carpenter and deceased. John and Julia had 3 children, Mary Jane, Charles and John Frederick. At the baptism of John Frederick it states he was deceased, John F was baptised 1830. Unfortunately I don't know where John was born but I assume about 1800-1805 as Julia was born Somerby 1804. On Charles and Mary's baptism record he was a millwright. Could he have died in a war? Not much to go on. About 1830'ish Julia and the children went to Crowland via the Poor Laws. I can't find much I'm afraid. Any help appreciated.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Waterfield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 12:21 BST (UK) »
Previous thread on the same family for reference & to avoid duplicate searches:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jxo/
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Re: John Waterfield
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 December 17 12:21 GMT (UK) »
I've come to this discussion late and have already seen most of the documentation mentioned above. I've also seen the thread in the Lincolnshire forum.

I have a whole raft of Waterfields (88) in my database, mostly from the eastern border of Leicestershire and Rutland but cannot attribute John to that line.

My first question is: why should Julia and her children be packed off to Crowland in Lincolnshire? I always thought removals meant sending people back to where they came from if they hadn't established a reason for being in the place they were being removed from.

My particular interest has been sparked by a curious alignment of surnames in the September 1922 BMD indexes. One of Charles Waterfield and Susannah Squires great grandsons (via their daughter Julia Ann), Norman C, bears the same combination of surname / mother's maiden name (Crane - Norton) as Vera J

The Crane family (I have 217) traces back to Leicestershire as well. Is this pure coincidence or another example of how families were interconnected through the generations?

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson