Author Topic: Get your family to write on back of photos  (Read 2067 times)

Offline dublin1850

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A great lover of Dublin history
    • View Profile
Re: Get your family to write on back of photos
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
Also, when scanning, scan at the highest dpi setting you can.
It can result in very big files, but can also draw out detail in backgrounds etc..
Coffey, Cummins [Rathfalla, Tipperary], Cummins [Skirke, Laois], Curran, Dillon [Clare], Fogarty [Garran, Laois/Tipp], Hughes, Keshan (Keeshan), Loughman [Harristown and Killadooley, Laois], Mallon [Armagh], Malone, Markham [Caherkine, Clare], McKeon(e) [Sligo/Kilkenny/Waterford], McNamara, Meagher, Prescott [Kilkenny/Waterford/Wexford?], Rafferty, Ryan, Sullivan, Tobin
GEDMatch: T665306 tested with Family Tree DNA and also with ancestry
GEDCOM file: 1980344

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Also, when scanning, scan at the highest dpi setting you can.
It can result in very big files, but can also draw out detail in backgrounds etc..

I scanned all in at 600x600dpi, 24bit depth colour for all photos, approx 95% were black and white photos. I experimented with 1200x1200dpi and blew up images and I couldn't see any benifit in 1200 and the file sizes were massive. 600x600 holds up well with no noticeable loss from the original.

Worth experimenting thou with the scanner you have first before setting down a scanning path. I like scanning in 24 bit depth colour coz it preserves the weathered look and various shades of greys that photos age over time. Bigger file sizes but better realistic as they are images.

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:24 BST (UK) »
A few points to remember....ink fades over time so as already mentioned use a soft pencil. Don't store scanned photos on a memory stick as they are meant for temporary use, use Cds. Try to be familiar with fashion trends as this can aid Dating.

Also clothing was often passed on to siblings and this can help with identifying siblings. jewellery and watches were often passed down to descendants so look for items worn by different generations.

Photographic styles should be grouped together and watch out for recurring studio props that can indicate a relationship and help to link generations.
 Don't be put off if your photos addresses don't fit the area where your relatives lived as photographers often travelled around.
If a child is wearing a dress don't assume that it is a girl...boys wore dresses until they were breached around seven years old, black socks and boots would most likely suggest the child is a boy.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline sharonmx5

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:37 BST (UK) »
All very good advice.  I shall get that album and scan the photo's regardless.  Maybe Mum's memory will have cleared on some of them, that's been known before  ;D.  However, if my own memory serves me rightly they were all from well before her time, so I will have some detective work to do ... :)
Hudson - Ipswich, pre 1800; Devall - Colchester, pre 1780