Author Topic: Baptism probably Dufton/Appleby of a William Hindson c 1869? (Looking for mum)  (Read 1831 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Browsing around in the family of William Hindson b 1808ish, Culgaith, a carpenter, as were most of his sons, and his wife Mary (Bullas?) and their children, I'd be interested to try and find the parent of their grandchild, also William Hindson, born 1869 Dufton, Westmorland. He was with them in both 1871 and 1881, and I suspect he died in Dufton in 1890.
The mother would probably be either Jane b 1832, the eldest daughter, or Mary Ann, b 1838, who much later, in 1880 married a William Hope, or Ann b 1841.
An earlier Ann b 1834 died shortly after birth, so it's not her.
I know I could send for the birth certificate, but it's a very distant relation, via marriage, and I wonder if anyone could point me in the direction of parish baptism records round that time, for Dufton/Appleby, where I might chance on it, as that would probably answer my fairly idle curiousity about this very distant relative?
Thanks for reading this, and for any help of course.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline warncoort

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • James Edward Butcher, son John William 1925
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism probably Dufton/Appleby of a William Hindson c 1869? (Looking for mum)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 01:31 BST (UK) »
Both parishes are in Westmorland!
http://www.archersoftware.co.uk/igi/
Butcher Westmorland and Lancashire
Barton Westmorland and Yorkshire
Trethowan,Reeves Middlesex
Halsall,Green,Charters,Chatterton Lancashire
Smith, Moger, Maxfield Wiltshire
Woods,Speechley and Coles Huntingdonshire
Gibson,Blanks,Monk,Fokes Essex

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism probably Dufton/Appleby of a William Hindson c 1869? (Looking for mum)
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
Yes, I'd worked that out, thank you, warncourt. I was a bit reluctant to try get up there and hunt around in local records, as I said, as he's merely a rel. by marriage, and online I'd found about 4 likely candidates. Haven't found him in any Westmorland records online yet, maybe I'm not searching in the right archives for a William with a single mum Jane, Mary Ann or Ann. Thank you for taking the trouble to help.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
I think perhaps warncoort was suggesting that the Westmorland board might be a more appropriate place to ask.  :-\

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/westmorland/

Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 15:50 BST (UK) »
Ah, you're correct, Geoff-E. I had my mind full of trying to find an online source of relevant parish records to scratch this little niggle with. Thank you.
(Tried the link - guess which years of baptism are not there?)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
- Anyone know how I can get this topic moved to the correct board, please?

Topic moved.