Author Topic: Daniel Craven of Eaton - Dead men can vote!  (Read 2215 times)

Offline AdrianB38

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Craven of Eaton - Dead men can vote!
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 May 17 12:20 BST (UK) »
Yes - thanks for that - worth bearing in mind that it can happen.

Offline Woodofchester

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 03 February 23 11:23 GMT (UK) »
Hello, im wondering if you could give me a clue as to my Daniel Craven and your Daniel Craven. My Daniel Craven had a baby boy Peter Wood with my x4 great grandmother Jane Wood. Peter was born around 1796. In the Baptism records it shows (at Tarporley Church, Cheshire) that Peter Wood was baptised as the Bastard son of Daniel Craven. It's always been a family mystery. One i would love to solve. Jane's grandfather Hugh wood of Tarporley. So Eaton (as still living in the area today) would be fitting as its in our tree and within Tarporley itself. Reading other threads, could my Daniel have been giving his marching orders by his wife and so lived with his son? Im a complete novice but any ideas welcome

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 04 March 23 12:15 GMT (UK) »
Further to my previous replies, I am certain that in the 1974 February election John Prescott was elected by dead men's votes. It is normal for merchant seamen and servicemen to have proxy votes cast by their nominee, often their spouse or parent. Earlier in February that year two Hull trawlers had been posted as missing while fishing in the Arctic. By the nature of his Hull constituency it is as certain as can be without a very thorough check of records (if they still exist) that many of these proxies came from that constituency and by political affiliation that many of them were cast in his favour. There it would have been very unlikely to affect the outcome, but in other circumstances (a marginal seat) such a situation undoubtedly could. As I said in an earlier posting legally, there is no difference between voting at a polling station and getting killed in a road accident on the way home.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 March 23 12:27 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat Woodofchester.

Just bring this up again so someone may be able to help you :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline craven481

• RootsChat Member
  • Finding Family Is Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 March 23 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Woodofchester - Sorry I didn't pick up you post sooner.  I haven't got a Peter Wood on my tree and cannot see a baptism circa 1796 in Tarporley on Ancestry, FindMyPast or FamilySearch, unless I'm missing something.  You go on to say you have a Daniel, son of Daniel Craven but you don't give any dates or indication which one was the father of Peter Wood.  It all sounds very interesting, but to link anything you have with my Craven Tree would need more data.
Craven, tarporley cheshire; hulme manchester.
Meredith, manchester.
Scanlon, sligo ireland.
Barwick, grove & reading berks; wolverhampton staffs, manchester.
Simpson, pately bridge appletreewick & halifax yorks; manchester.
Dixon, storriths bolton abbey addingham & embsay yorks; manchester

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 March 23 06:42 GMT (UK) »
Bookmarking for future ref :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)