Author Topic: Joseph Kithcart B. abt 1800 Panfield, Essex, UK. & Joseph Kithcart B.1831  (Read 1063 times)

Offline Diane58

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello,
I am looking for any information on the above Joseph Kithcart or his father John Kithcart. Joseph Kithcart married Eliza Olley around 1828 or 1829. They had 7 children one being Joseph Kithcart b. abt 1831Maldon England. Joseph was a convict and was sent to Australia about 1862 he had a number of alias names. His birth record says Joseph Kithcart but his name was John Olley on the Australian Convict Transportation Registers – Other Fleets & Ships, 1791-1868 and then he seemed to be known as John Olley in Australia.
I would appreciate any help I can get on this family.
Kind Regards,

Di Tate

Offline suffolk*sue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Catherine Sandys & Sarah Richardson,where are you?
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Kithcart B. abt 1800 Panfield, Essex, UK. & Joseph Kithcart B.1831
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
At Panfield
Joseph Kithcart baptised September 5th, 1802, son of William and Rebecca

William Kithcart married Rebecca Key in Panfield in 1798.
Census information is Crown Copyright  -  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Di

Have we spoken before about our nefarious ancestor?

Mark Olley
Olleys in Essex

Offline olleym

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:43 BST (UK) »
Joseph jnr was born in Felsted, but baptised in Rayne on 5 August 1830. His surname was written as Chiskart.
The Rayne/Felsted parish boundary was the old A120, 1 side was Rayne, the other Felsted. You could almost be in view of Rayne church but be born in Felsted, whose church was 3 miles away.

His parents had married in Rayne on 01 February 1828

Mark
Olleys in Essex

Offline Diane58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:32 BST (UK) »
Hello Mark

yes we have made contact before. I lost contact with you and would like to ask a few more questions re our Olley's.

My email is kevdi@iinet.net.au

Kind Regards

Di Tate

Offline Diane58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 00:37 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue

thanks for replying. I will see if I can find that connection as I have Joseph's father as John but that quite possibly could be wrong.
Do you have Kithcart or Olley in your tree?

Kind Regards,

Di Tate

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 December 17 00:45 GMT (UK) »
I can assure you that Kithcart and its variations is a phonetic mispelling of Cathcart.  To the west of Braintree, Essex lie villages of Panfield, Rayne, Dunmow etc! and this is the area that Kithcart / Cathcart families were resident since 1800 onwards but they have connections with the Army bases of Isle of Wight, Shoeburyness, Aldershot and Fulwood at Preston and movement between County Durham and Essex.   If you search the Censuses and Familysearch.org you will find their locations and Dates.   My connection is from James Cathcart who married Ann Maria Mitchell at Freshwater, Isle of Wight in 1874 whilst he was posted to Cliffden Fort as a Bombardier in the Royal Artillery.  His last ? son born in 1884, one year prior to the death of Ann Maria Cathcart in 1885, was my Grandfather on my mother's side, Albert Edward Cathcart ( showing as Albert William ).  He was in the Army based at Weedon Bec, Daventry when he married my mother's mother in 1925 at Northampton.  They later settled at Hempton, Fakenham in Norfolk until he died in 1962.  I have masses of info on many Cathcarts that I don't know the connection to but I'm happy to share it with you, regards, Ian Peter Nelson
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.