Author Topic: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Looking to find a reasonably detailed map of Liverpool c.1800-1850.

Ideally with street names, church locations etc. I have been able to get all the churches of bap. and bur. in Liverpool going back to c.1650. Also a lot of street names where relatives lived and some worked, so a detailed map would be great to add to the history write up I am doing at the moment.

Happy to have A3 or even A2 sized prints. Anyone know of a detailed map that I can purchase and or download?

Cheers,

Ian

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Liverpool map c.1800 to c.1850
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:14 BST (UK) »
The 1836 one is zoomable and seems to have a reasonable amount of detail. (I haven't checked the others):
https://liverpool1207blog.wordpress.com/old-liverpool-maps/

The NLS maps will cover Liverpool but probably will be later than 1850s.http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=6&lat=53.3995&lon=-3.0305&layers=39&b=1&point=0,0

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/#/ - subscription required in order to zoom in for more detail but you may be able to get close enough to find what you are looking for.

I used to have some other maps but sadly the links no longer work.

Added: There are a few of Liverpool amongst the rest of Lancashire here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~genmaps/genfiles/COU_Pages/ENG_pages/lan.htm (the 1801 George Cole map looks promising though I haven't examined it closely) - I think many are zoomable if you click on them.

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 16 April 17 16:18 BST (UK) »
Surveyed: 1845 to 1849 http://maps.nls.uk/view/102344096

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 10:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the links.

Lots of nice maps unfortunately the ones of interest were not downloadable so I can print them out. Looking for map from the docks back maybe 20 streets or so which is where the majority of my ancestors lived until 1850 when our Aussie forefathers emigrated.

I ordered a map that looked great from OldUkMaps however their previews don't reflect the map that you order? They were very good and refunded the purchase.

The search continues....thanks again.

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 11:41 BST (UK) »
The Alan Godfrey copies of old OS maps are pretty good for what you want, although you may have to get more than one to cover the areas you are interested in.

http://www.alangodfreymaps.co.uk/liverpool5.htm

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
How much detail do you want and what part of Liverpool are you interested in? Maps for the first half of the 19th century don't tend to feature the courts. If you are interested in court level coverage there are some maps available post 1850. You'll probably struggle to find exactly what you want if what's online is not enough.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
You could always take a Print Screen image of any maps that come near to what you want. A lot of online maps don't have a download facility.

Blue

Offline Fleetz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:22 BST (UK) »
Cheers Anthony and Blue,

Appears I seek the quest of the holy grail.

A single map from the docks back maybe 20 odd streets back from St Nicholas and St Peter churches. It is where most of our clan lived in the 17, 18 and 19th century. The older part and more established parts of Liverpool.

In an ideal world c.1850 or slightly earlier being representative of up to when in particular our branch that finished up as colonist left to come to Australia.

Ideally if I can find a map that can provide that part of Liverpool I have described that fits on to A3 that would be great so it can be folded and included in a A4 booklet I am currently writing. If it is a larger digital format ie A2 I can get it converted to A3 and there are no copyright issues then that would be fine.

Equally if the drawing exists in a larger format in hard copy form and can be reduced by a copy shop to A3 again without copyright issues that is OK too. Living in Australia the cost of shipping is quite high which is why I prefer a detailed digital image which can be scaled by a good copy shop.

Having a map that has the majority of the streets and or churches mentioned in their bap., m. or bur. just would add so much to the journey.

Antony the Alan Godfrey maps are quite a bit later c.1900, they might do the job unfortunately they do have a preview albeit in lower resolution to see what they are offering. They also mention multiple sheets which I prefer not to have to cut and paste together.

A larger digitised map with a good amount of detail that lends itself to be scaled back electronically would be ideal. Not sure what the copyright laws are with regard to maps that are circa 150 years old? But that is important as I would like to print off 20 or so as it looks like I have about that many living relatives here that will be interested in a copy. Copies I would be providing free of charge. Happy to pay a fair copyright fee per copy if that is what is required.

If the eventual copy of the map can be scanned down or electronically scaled down to A3 then that can be folded to fit nicely within an A4 publication.

Cheers,

Ian

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
I don't print out large maps of Liverpool as you can't see enough of the detail on an A4 or A3 piece of paper. I only ever use images showing particular areas or particular streets and print them on A4 to fit my Lever Arch file.

Blue