Author Topic: Wedding present  (Read 950 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Wedding present
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:00 BST (UK) »
Just been reading an account of a double wedding in Sussex in 1938.  The lists of presents began with:

(first wedding) Bride to bridegroom - Barometer.  Bridegroom to bride - gold bracelet set with pearls and emeralds.

(second wedding) Bride to bridegroom - Rolls razor.  Bridegroom to bride - table top mangle.

Bet there were some envious comments and comparisons ;)

Online angelfish58

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grandma & Grandad married 23 Aug 1918
    • View Profile
Re: Wedding present
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 16 April 17 17:10 BST (UK) »
Come washing day I expect bride #1 would be wishing for the mangle
Watson, Snowball, Pyburn, Heppell, Ferry, Holmes, Clennett, Kidd, Pescod, Bage Co.Duham & Northumberland
Stockton, Watson, Bage, Nellist N. Yorks
Challnor/Challoner Cheshire/Shropshire. Moore, Mansell: Wellington, Shropshire
Davies/ David, Coity, Glamorgan
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
It's to be hoped that they didn't hold a double wedding breakfast / reception - or one half of the room would've been on smoked salmon, sherry trifle and champagne, and the other half on fish'n'chips, washed down by bitter! I can just imagine what it might look like.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:51 BST (UK) »
The reception was held "at the Institute".....  The presents are all listed - from Treasury notes to shoe cleaning outfit, bolster covers to sugar sifter, beaded pin cushion to flat irons.  Mind, I remember receiving a grapefruit knife from an old friend of me mam's ;) and that was 1980!  Everything grapefully received....