Author Topic: Samuel Vinnicombe from Exeter(?)  (Read 625 times)

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Vinnicombe from Exeter(?)
« on: Sunday 16 April 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out further information about Samuel Vinnicombe who was born about 1740. He married Mary Pewtner on 20/01/1776 in Exeter. Mary married Thomas Horne on 20/07/1784 in Exeter.

Can anyone help in tracking down Samuel's parents?
I have found 3 possibilities.
There is a Samuel born to John and Jane Vinnicombe in Hittisleigh and baptised 23/09/1739
                                      Samuel Vinnicombe          in Wolborough &  baptised 28/12/1738
                                      John and Mary Vinnicombe in Ottery St Mary & baptised 23/06/1734
There may well be others.

When did he die? Presumably before his wife married Thomas Horne!!

Samuel and Mary had a son John Pewtner Vinnicombe in 1779. Were there any other children? I found a possibility of a Sarah.

I have read 'Vinnicombe's Trek' but can't find any reference to Samuel.

I will be most grateful for any help.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Vinnicombe from Exeter(?)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Why do you think that the Mary who married in 1784 was the widow of Samuel VINNICOMBE? The signatures on the marriage register do not seem to match. Also, what indication do you have that Samuel was born ca 1740 - that would have made him 36 at the time of marriage.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 14:41 BST (UK) »
Mary Pewtner married a Samuel Vinnicombe in Exeter on 20/01/1776 at St Thomas the Apostle. They had at least one son - John Pewtner Vinnicombe born in 1779 who was baptised in Exeter on 28/11/1779 at St Thomas the Apostle.
Mary had a brother Edward and in his will there is a clause that says ' I give to my sister Mary Horne and to her son one gold ring each' The will is very long and takes a lot of concentration to read.
I have only found one Mary Pewtner of about the correct age, however I have now found another Mary Pewtner marriage to a 'Eagen' in Exeter on 17/02/1765. I can't work out who 'Eagen' is.
As to Samuel's age I was going on the 3 candidates that I had found.

Offline DOB7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • SQUANCE family motto - Be wise and keep quiet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:09 BST (UK) »
It looks as though the 1765 marriage to Mr Eagen was actually the calling of Banns at Exeter St Thomas  with no actual marriage recorded there. The Devon FHS has parish registers available to members which include Exeter St Sidwell - these are not available online so may be worth checking.
I assume John P born 1779 is the one who moved to London and married Ann MOXHAY there in 1803.
Squance, Lillicrap, Dankester, Surtees, Yates

Offline cwelli

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:14 BST (UK) »
I've just noticed that in an earlier post I wrote Thomas Horne instead of Thomas Home. Sorry a careless mistake.
John Pewtner Vinnicombe and Ann Moxhay had 11 children. Their 1st son was named Thomas Home Vinnicombe so I presume that John and his step father got on quite well.