Author Topic: Only have a first name and an address...how to find in census?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Only have a first name and an address...how to find in census?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Wondering whether their children's Scottish birth certs would be more specific with clues as to parents' origins. Scottish birth certs for 1855 and from 1860s include date and place of parents' marriage.

I bought the birth certs for four of the children in this family. All of the parents were married in Odessa, but to my knowledge they were not "from" Odessa. I have a hometown of Przedborz for Emanuel Goldberg, but I have nothing for the Schechwitzs. I'm assuming what is modern day Ukraine, but have struck out finding records from there.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:07 BST (UK) »
Birth certificates should show where they married ( doesn't seem to be in Scotland). 1911 census might also be more specific about where they came from.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:13 BST (UK) »
1911 shows just Russia as birth place for Jacob/James and Rachel unfortunately.

They married in St Giles Edinburgh in 1889, Rachel Goldston and Jacob Barnet.

In 1891:

Jacob Burnett 25 shoemaker b. Wat Brit Subj, Germany (as transcribed)
Racheal Burnett 23 b. Wat Brit Subj, Germany
Miriam Burnett 1
Bessie Burnett Under 1 Month

Address: 21 West Nicolson Street, Edinburgh St Giles

Daughter Rosa/Rosie from later censuses was originally Miriam?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 April 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
Wow! Great work. How did you find that census record? I only know about ScotlandPeople which doesn't give a lot of info.
Scotland's People is the only place you can get the 1911 census.

You can view the original enumeration book, and it gives lots of information - address, name, relationship to head of household, age, marital status, occupation, type of employer, whether employed or working on own account, county and parish of birth.

Why do you say it 'doesn't give a lot of information'? Are you just looking at the index rather than the actual document?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 17 April 17 05:11 BST (UK) »
Wow! Great work. How did you find that census record? I only know about ScotlandPeople which doesn't give a lot of info.
Scotland's People is the only place you can get the 1911 census.

You can view the original enumeration book, and it gives lots of information - address, name, relationship to head of household, age, marital status, occupation, type of employer, whether employed or working on own account, county and parish of birth.

Why do you say it 'doesn't give a lot of information'? Are you just looking at the index rather than the actual document?

I mean that I don't know how to tell which is the right person using just their index. Once I buy the documents they have a wealth of info, but there's not a lot of info in the index so I can't easily tell which ones to buy. I have no idea how MonicaL found so much useful info!

If there is a better way of doing things, please let me know! I have several relatives who were in Glasgow for just a few years around 1911. I've found their census records but would love to see more.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 17 April 17 13:02 BST (UK) »
I can't easily see the connections so far from the surnames connected to Jacob Barnet and Rachel Goldstein. Do you want to leave them for now and move closer to your direct connected lines whilst they stayed in Scotland? If so, why not add some details for them.

Sounds like you are doing all the right things  ;) Around the 1911 period that you mention they spent a few years in the Glasgow area you have:

- the 1911 census
- registrations for BMDs on the statutory registers
- valuation rolls which confirm where they may have been living and a possible occupation for head of household (currently SP have 1905 and 1915 on their databases). The Glasgow Story, I posted link previously have the 1913-14 valuation roll. You can only search that one by address.
- the Glasgow Post Office Directories http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office/index.cfm?place=Glasgow up to 1912. Later years here http://archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Ascottishdirectories&sort=-publicdate

Were the families Jewish? Have you looked at resources here www.sjac.org.uk/collections/family-history-genealogy/

Monica  :)

Offline what0101

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 17 April 17 14:28 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, Monica! I am exploring the valuation rolls now.

The family is Jewish and I contacted sjac.org.uk -- I'd like to get the children's school records, but I think I will need to try to get them when I am next in Glasgow. They all arrived from Odessa around 1905-1907 (they aren't originally from there, though) and left at different times, through 1913.

The families I am looking at are:
Emanuel and Sarah Goldberg with children Hyman, Harry, Ruth Mary (usually Mary), Jacob, and Barnett. I have their 1911 census from 40 Thistle Street and Barnett's birth certificate. The other children were born in Russia. They left Glasgow in 1913.

Henry and Rachel Weinbloom and children Jeanie, Lizzie, Jack, David, and Sylvia. Lived in Glasgow until 1912. I have their 1911 census at 67 Coburg Street and David and Sylvia's birth certificates; the other children were born in Russia.

Morris and Rose Kapit/Kaput/Kapit and children Jacob and Isaac. I am not sure when Morris left, it was before Jacob was born in May, 1908. Rose and the children left Sept, 1911. I have their census record from 1911 living with the Goldbergs at 40 Thistle Street and the boys' birth certificates. Two mysteries here: I would love to find an outbound passenger list for Morris, and in their 1915 US census they have a 4-5 year old daughter named Sarah that was born in Scotland, but I can't find any other record of her, either birth certificate or passenger manifest.

Abram/Abraham and Rose Schechowitz. They left Glasgow in 1909 and I have no records from them apart from their passenger manifest.

Moses/Morris, Chaje/Clara, and Barnett/Barney Schechowitz. hey left Glasgow in 1910 and I have no records from them apart from their passenger manifest.

Israel and Fanny Mail. They lived at 216 Govan Street and then 19 Portugal Street. Israel is listed as a cousin on Sarah's 1913 passenger manifest, so I am trying to figure out the relationship. This is one of my big mysteries. I have their 1911 census, some valuation rolls, and some other records with their various addresses in Glasgow (they settled there). I would love to get his naturalization record or anything that would give more of his history.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:02 BST (UK) »

Morris and Rose Kapit/Kaput/Kapit and children Jacob and Isaac. I am not sure when Morris left, it was before Jacob was born in May, 1908. Rose and the children left Sept, 1911. I have their census record from 1911 living with the Goldbergs at 40 Thistle Street and the boys' birth certificates. Two mysteries here: I would love to find an outbound passenger list for Morris, and in their 1915 US census they have a 4-5 year old daughter named Sarah that was born in Scotland, but I can't find any other record of her, either birth certificate or passenger manifest.

Is this wife Rose's death details in 1939? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:2WTV-4LJ Her surname on this is showing as Schechwitz. Is she therefore connected to Abram/Abraham (and wife Rose) Schechowitz? Also Moses/Morris, Chaje/Clara, and Barnett/Barney Schechowitz.

Sarah, showing as daughter in 1915 to Morris and Rose, no sign of her later is there  :-\ 

Isodere, son born in Scotland in 1920 - is this Isaac born in scotland? 1930 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X76T-RSS  and 1920 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MJR9-MLH  You have these entries I am sure, just adding here for background.

Monica

Offline doddsie4

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:31 BST (UK) »
On the present-day map, there is PRZEDBORZ.       It is south of Warsaw, so it it well inside the Polish border.  The Russian Federation is away to the north.      The nearest large town or city appears to be Lodz, in the Lodskie area of Poland.