Author Topic: hugh bullen  (Read 6134 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: hugh bullen
« Reply #9 on: Friday 21 April 17 12:39 BST (UK) »
The Bullen family had a family vault at St Benet's RC cemetery in Watergate Lane, Woolton:-

"...and Mr. H. Bullen. The latter in his day was a public man; his name appears frequently in the Road Surveyor’s book, he having signed these records of the old township of Woolton. When the vault of the Bullen family, which is now overgrown with ivy, was opened to receive the body of a child, a corpse was exposed, which was found to be petrified. It was taken to a pond, washed, and replaced in the grave..."

https://prayers4reparation.wordpress.com/tag/woolton/

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 21 April 17 12:43 BST (UK) »
The vault must have been moved from St Benet's to the new site at St Mary's as there's a reference to it here:-

https://www.liverpool-genealogy.org.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14591

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 21 April 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Some newspaper extracts:-

The Lancaster Gazette, Sat 24 Sep 1808

DIED

On Tuesday se’nnight, at Ashurst Hall, in this county, in the 96th year of his age, Mr Robert Bullen, father of Mr. Hugh Bullen, of Liverpool.

The Westmorland Gazette, Sat 19 Jan 1822

Married.

Tuesday se’nnight, at Childwall, Mr. Robert Rockliff, printer, Liverpool, to Jane, eldest daughter of Hugh Bullen, Esq. of Woolton.

Liverpool Mercury, Fri 15 Nov 1822

MARRIED

On Wednesday, the 6th instant, at Christ Church, Robert Bullen, eldest son of Hugh Bullen, Esq. to Mary Ann, youngest daughter of Mr. John Orrell, Lord Street.

Liverpool Mercury, Fri 13 Mar 1829

DIED

Same day*, at his residence at Woolton, Hugh Bullen, Esq. aged 74, of the firm of Hugh Bullen and Co. rectifiers, James Street.

[* = previous entry says, “On Tuesday last...” so day is Tuesday last] 

Liverpool Mercury, Fri 24 Apr 1829

DIED

On Tuesday, the 14th instant, at his house in Crabtree Lane, Robert Bullen, Esq. aged 34 years, eldest son of the late Hugh Bullen, Esq. of Woolton.

[There was a Crabtree House not far away in what is now Netherley, Liverpool or it could be Crabtree Lane near Burscough]

Liverpool Mercury, Fri 2 Oct 1829

MARRIED

On Thursday, the 24th ult. at the Catholic Chapel, Seel Street and afterwards at St. Philip’s church, Hardman Street, Hugh Bullen, Esq. distiller of Woolton, to Anastasia, eldest daughter of Mrs. Davies, Islington.   

[RC church for marriage according to their faith and the CE church for it to be a legal marriage]

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 21 April 17 16:12 BST (UK) »
It looks like the 1777 date was a typo and it should have been 1755. Despite the age gap Hugh was a good catch with his business background and the same faith as Jane. There was an inference that the Bullens were Irish on one website (https://prayers4reparation.wordpress.com/tag/woolton/) but I don't think that's right with Hugh's father living at Ashurst Hall and so many Bullens in the English records going way back.

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 22 April 17 09:00 BST (UK) »
Okay time-out ;D. I've just noticed a previous thread and it looks like your ancestor Robert Bullen is not a son of the Hugh Bullen that is covered in this thread. The Robert Bullen son of Hugh's marriage and death are mentioned in the newspaper extracts, he married in 1822, died in 1829 so you need to exclude all records relating to Hugh's family from your research. Previous thread:-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=734669.0

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 22 April 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
The only candidate left is the following who was discussed on your other thread but this was a CE baptism. There may be other RC candidates out there whose baptisms aren't online so I would advise you not to pursue this line until you are more certain of a link:-

Baptism: 14 Sep 1794 St Peter and St Paul, Ormskirk, Lancs.
Robert Bullen - Son of Robert Bullen & Betty
Performed at: Skelmersdale Chapel
Register: Baptisms 1794 - 1812, Page 3, Entry 18
Source: LDS Film 1849663

Although the 1851 Census says your Robert was born in Liverpool that could be wrong he could have been born in the country ie West Lancs. He could also have been born in Liverpool to country RCs who had him baptised outside Liverpool. Baptisms for St Mary's and St Peter's RC are online and your Robert doesn't appear to be on the Liverpool RC baptism records so there's a possibility he was CE or was an RC baptised outside Liverpool.

Blue 

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 22 April 17 20:49 BST (UK) »
I think we can rule out even that one candidate the Skelmersdale Robert Bullen can be identified on the census records:-

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SG5D-5XC

There's definitely a brick wall on your Bullen line it'll be difficult to find the origins of your Robert Bullen, shoemaker.

Blue

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 23 April 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
oh im so sorry for all your wasted time, i was starting to think it did nt seam right, i d already gone through and discarded the original tarleton family i had ( being far to grand for my fam), then finding the catholic tarletons and hugh bullen, tobacconist, son robert a shoemaker, roberts daughter jane (named after nan ?)marring william eggers a cigarmaker, all living in liverpool city center i thought i d cracked it
but as more info was coming through on these tarletons and bullens the grander they were becoming, and i had mentioned earlier that was it not odd that jane and hugh could write, but they re son robert could nt ??
one last thing, it was mentioned above that maybe robert bullen was nt born liverpool ( even though it says so on 1851 census), but do you not think it more likely that a shoemaker is more a job to go into if you live in a town or city rather than a job to take up if you live in the countryside ??
i know he could have moved into the city, but surely if you d moved to liverpool as a young man you d be more likely to get a job at the docks, or railways or just a laborer, surely to be a shoemaker you d either have to have come from a family already in the trade, or have a natural aptitude for that kind of precise kind of work ??

again sorry for all the misinformation and time waste, but believe me i ve wasted about 40 hours this last week alone, so annoying :(

Offline cathieee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 23 April 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
also one last thing i have a death cert for robert bullen died july- aug 1855 liverpool vol 86 page 190 can i get a death cert from this info, as i was looking online and from what i can gather you cant get any death certs for the whole of liverpool ??, is that just online or even if you go direct to st georges hall , thanks :)