Author Topic: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?  (Read 6420 times)

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 02 November 17 07:59 GMT (UK) »
May have found a record for William the corn merchant in the death duty registers - 1821

William HUDD.... Elizabeth Hudd of St Georges Bristol. Con. Bristol.

Three marriages using the variant of HUDD in Bristol

William H mar. Elizabeth Clements 22 Nov. 1772

William H mar. Mary Phipps 31 Jan. 1788

William H mar. Hannah Shipway 29 Aug. 1819

Claire

Thanks Claire and Jomot

No Will, but TNA have IR 27/103 listed as Administrations

Eliz'th Hudd St George's Bristol - "Name and Residence of Administrator or Administratrix"

Bristol Con[sistory] Court? Vol.1 and Fol.154

I have enquired if these survive?

---------

Jeffery WALLIS was the Quaker conducting and/or authorising his Not a Member burial.

My new book has Wallis Quaker businessmen with links to Yorkshire (quite a few incl Pontefract; Scarborough; Wakefield and ex Ackworth School); Chorlton upon Medlock; Kettering; Hitchin and Chelmsford etc.

Over two full A4 pages of small print, will take time to digest these Wallis Quakers

The Witnesses were George Thomas for Mary Thomas, Gravemaker

(In George Hood's burial case the male witness/Gravemaker was the Sexton and his family surname appeared to be linked to a local Joinery company, some Joiners were Undertakers).

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Background of Wm Hood, Corn Factor of Bristol - 1821 Buried Non-Quaker, please?
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 November 17 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Can't see any reference to Quaker, Jeffery WALLIS (or HOOD / HUDD) under the Wallis names, in the book.

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 02 November 17 13:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Jeffery Wallis was a Quaker born c1749 in Reading. Was a baker by trade. Married twice, the second marriage took place in Reading. Seemed to baptise numerous children in Reading, Dorset & a couple in Bristol. One being a Swaine Wallis - Swaine being the surname of his wife he married in Reading.

Jeffery Wallis died in 1829 and was buried in Southampton.

No Hoods, Cook(e) or Pearson witnesses at either of his marriages.
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 02 November 17 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Claire for looking

Do you mean Births? Quakers don't baptise.

Mark

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 02 November 17 23:22 GMT (UK) »

Yes, of course I mean births,  slapping my own wrists - I should have remembered that - all the Quaker records I've looked at :)

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Sunday 05 November 17 15:01 GMT (UK) »
There is a Will of a John Hood of Bristol dated 1802. This man was an ironmonger ~ mentions a son John GIBBONS Hood and his son William Hood

claire

Thanks Claire

I noticed a Tho, Wm, Ben: Gibbons & Jno Hood of the City of Bristol, Ironmongers, in the 1779 duty paid on Apprentices Indentures.

Regards Mark

William Hood, Merchant of the City of Bristol was in Copartnership with Thomas Gibbons; Benjamin Gibbons; William Gibbons and Benjamin Bickley, trading as William Gibbons and Co was dissolved by mutual consent on 30th September 1812.
London Gazette of 1813.

According to the Notice in 1815 William Hood was no longer a Partner.

Notice is hereby given, that the Partnership in the trades and businesses of Ironmongers and Merchants, lately carried on by us, in the City of Bristol, under the firm of William Gibbons and Co. was by mutual consent dissolved on and from the 25th day of May 1814 ...

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=0yVKAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA241&lpg=PA241&dq=%22William+Gibbons+and+Co%22+Bristol&source=bl&ots=HBg9Uf1vh2&sig=MqA0VP9n2enFBD7AU4Ocypd9V7c&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjQtdjR3qfXAhXMWRoKHbmHC8wQ6AEIHzAB

Capetown's post also links Hood and Gibbons.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Sunday 05 November 17 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Seems this William Hood of Bristol was related to Gibbons?

A Quaker book has quite a few Gibbins and refers to the Records of the Gibbins Family ...
https://archive.org/stream/recordsofgibbins00gibb

Which says Gibbins (or Gibbons) and referring to early Gibbons of Bristoll. [sic]

If William Hood of Bristol was related to a Quaker family, the Quaker Library gave that as one of the reasons that would qualify a person for a Quaker burial, as Not in Membership.

---------

I'm now wondering about my mystery George Hood and his burial in the Selby Quaker Burial Ground, as "Not in Membership", died of Heart Disease Certified 18 Months.

Mark

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 14 February 18 11:17 GMT (UK) »
May have found a record for William the corn merchant in the death duty registers - 1821

William HUDD.... Elizabeth Hudd of St Georges Bristol. Con. Bristol.

Three marriages using the variant of HUDD in Bristol

William H mar. Elizabeth Clements 22 Nov. 1772

William H mar. Mary Phipps 31 Jan. 1788

William H mar. Hannah Shipway 29 Aug. 1819

Claire

Thanks Claire and Jomot

No Will, but TNA have IR 27/103 listed as Administrations

Eliz'th Hudd St George's Bristol - "Name and Residence of Administrator or Administratrix"

Bristol Con[sistory] Court? Vol.1 and Fol.154

I have enquired if these survive?

---------

Jeffery WALLIS was the Quaker conducting and/or authorising his Not a Member burial.

My new book has Wallis Quaker businessmen with links to Yorkshire (quite a few incl Pontefract; Scarborough; Wakefield and ex Ackworth School); Chorlton upon Medlock; Kettering; Hitchin and Chelmsford etc.

Over two full A4 pages of small print, will take time to digest these Wallis Quakers

The Witnesses were George Thomas for Mary Thomas, Gravemaker

(In George Hood's burial case the male witness/Gravemaker was the Sexton and his family surname appeared to be linked to a local Joinery company, some Joiners were Undertakers).

Mark

Hello

Yes the Bristol Administrations do survive, although they didn't seem to be listed online by the archive.

Regarding William Hudd's 1821 Admin., the archives have also included the Will of Mary Hood (1821) in their reply.

*Administration 1821, William Hudd, Executrix Eliz'th Hudd, St George's Bristol, Con[sistory] Bristol, per Calendar.

So I await copies with interest.

Quaker Burials of those "Not in Membership"
Regarding the Quaker burial of William Hood of Bristol as 'Not in Membership', it is possible William may also have been attending Quaker Meetings, as a Non-Member. Having Quaker relatives was one reason, according to the Quaker Library (Archive).

Mark

* Amended - The Calendar does NOT say that Executrix Eliz'th Hudd was William's Wife or Widow.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 21 February 18 14:59 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am interested in any further information please, religious, family, property, background and if a Will exists, regarding William Hood of Bristol, a Corn Factor, dying at the Fish Ponds, Gloucestershire and buried 1821 aged 65, who was not a Quaker?

This thread is not for the Quaker section of Rootschat.

This is what I know so far about William Hood:-

Quakers Burial Note (not attached)

States:-
Not a Member

To Mary Thomas Grave-Maker.
The 26th Day of the 1st Month, 1821
Make a Grave on or before next First Day, in Friends'
Burying-Ground, at or near The Friers
and therin lay the Body of William Hood, of the Broad Wear
Peters Parish in the City of Bristol
Corn factor aged about sixty five Years
who died the Twenty fourth Day
of the First Month, One Thousand Eight Hundred and Twenty one
at the Fish Ponds in the County of Gloucester.

Signed Jeffery Wallis

The body of the above-mentioned was buried the Twenty Eighth
Day of the first Month, 1821

Witness George Thomas for Mary Thomas Grave-Maker.

[Friers spelt Friars in the Register]
[Broad Wear spelt Broad Weir in the Register]

Good Afternoon

This Administration is another William Hudd.

28th June 1821
Admin in the Goods of the within named Wm Hudd dec'ed was granted to Eliz'th Hudd his W'd & Relict at Bristol ...
Effects sworn under £1000.
[?] & Intestate died 10th Feb'y 1817

A declaration was made that the value of his effects would not exceed One thousand pounds, by The Mark of Elizabeth Hudd 28 June 1821

Appeared personally Elizabeth Hudd of the Parish of Saint George in the County of Gloucester Widow and made Oath that she is the Widow and Relict of William Hudd late of the Parish of Saint George in the County of Gloucester and Diocese of Bristol Yeoman deceased intestate, that she will faithfully administer his Goods Chattels and [?Credits] ...

Also there is a Bond set at Two Thousand Pounds and signed by Elizabeth Hudd Widow Ambrose Hudd Basketmaker and Thomas Haskins Woollen Draper all of the Parish of Saint George in the County of Gloucester. Relating to an Act of Lord King Charles the Second, intituled "An Act for the better settling of Intestates' Estates" ...

Interesting that Ambrose HUDD was a Basketmaker.

-----------

My Sarah HOOD, nee Russell was a Basket Maker.

-----------

This is not William Hood of Bristol, Corn Merchant, buried by the Quakers as Not in Membership.

Mark