Author Topic: John Rigby baptism  (Read 1646 times)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John Rigby baptism
« on: Monday 17 April 17 15:49 BST (UK) »
I'm looking for the baptism record for John Rigby (died 1600). Born in the Chorley area. Family trees and even books have his date of birth as around 1570 with parents Nicholas and Mary. which would have made his age at marriage around 13. So I think he must have been born in the 1560s or before.

The only baptism I can find is from Chorley in 1551, father Hugh Rigby.

Can anyone verify this is the right one, or is there another that I'm missing?
Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Rigby baptism
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:53 BST (UK) »
He may have married young - do you know how old when he died?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately not - I can't even find a death or burial record for him.

There is one however from 1600 in Wigan, but lists him as illegitimate child of Margaret, which I thought was only written down if they are children who have died young.

Apparently, according to various sources, he was executed on June 21, 1600 in London, and this burial record is from December 21 of the same year. I know he was hanged, drawn and quartered, maybe this was why his burial took place some time afterwards.

Bolingbroke (Norfolk & Suffolk) Chittleburgh (Yorkshire & Norfolk) Dawson (Essex & Hertfordshire) Donkin (Newcastle & Durham) Gregg (Lancashire & Cumbria) Johnson (Lancashire) Spalding (Norfolk) Stannard - (Essex & Norfolk)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:33 BST (UK) »
How have you linked your family to this John Rigby who was Hung Drawn & Quartered  :-\

http://www.thechristianreview.com/catholics-who-were-hung-drawn/
St. John Rigby, layman, was executed on June 21, 1600, for having converted to Catholicism and neglected to attend Church of England services. Rigby had been received into the Catholic Church by another martyr, the Franciscan St. John Jones.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
Maybe if you tell us who your John married and when - Who were his children and when/where were they baptised.  It often helps us to have some background on people we are looking for.

Rosie  :)

Offline bethanyyd96

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:41 BST (UK) »
I believe he is the father of my 11th great grandmother, Ellen Rigby. She was born in 1591 and baptised at Croston, but sadly no father was given. I got this information from Lancashire Parish Clerk Online. I looked for a marriage for a Rigby and John Rigby came up as being married in 1583 at Croston to Dorothy Muncks or Marky. I looked at the original record and looks like the latter spelling.

Their children were Elizabeth (1586), Gabriel (1590), Ellen (1591) and John (1593). There are more Rigby's born, including two in the same year (James and William), however I'm not sure about them.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:16 BST (UK) »
This link says that St John Rigby said he was a bachelor  :-\
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/13055a.htm

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:10 BST (UK) »
The John Rigby who was executed would not have been buried. The sentence of being (half-)hanged, drawn and quartered was reserved for traitors, which in this era included Catholics. His head would have been displayed on a spike. The 4 quarters of his body would have been distributed in 4 different places. Family & friends may have been able to get some of the remains surreptitiously.
John Rigby was one of "The Forty Martyrs ". There should be a biography of him, probably published by Catholic Record Society or Catholic Truth Society. When I was young I read a C.T.S. booklet about the 40 Martyrs of England & Wales. That might have been the title of it. (Gruesome reading.)

The era you're researching isn't long after parish registers began, so it's not surprising if you can't find the records you need.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 April 17 20:10 BST (UK) »
Another source for John Rigby's age and his being single. Diocese of Shrewsbury website, Saint of the week, St. John Rigby
www.dioceseofshrewbury.org/weekly_digest/st-john-rigby-21st-june
It recounts a conversation John Rigby had with the Earl of Rutland and Captain Whitlock on the way to Rigby's execution. They were " astonished that a man of 30 had found the strength to remain chaste" Then follows a description of the execution. After only a few moments hanging, Rigby was cut down: " A young and healthy man ...stood upright on his feet, startled but fully conscious." He remained fully conscious whilst being disembowelled; several men had to hold him down, one with a foot on his neck. ( So he was still fairly fit, although he'd been tortured in prison.)

So, if he died aged around 30, birth year about 1570 is correct.
He was raised a Catholic; his father, Nicholas was lapsed/ wavering/ conforming at the time of John's return to the R. C. faith. There might not have been a baptism record for John. He may have been baptised privately/ secretly at home. He may have had another christening at the parish church to make it seem the family were conforming.

There is an online family tree of Saint John Rigby (Geni Family Tree). This has given him a wife, Jane Bannister with an approximate birth year of 1595. If that date is correct she was only 5 when her husband died. ??? It also made her a few years younger than both children of the couple.  ::)
Going back a few generations in the same tree, a grandmother appears to have married 2 men named Nicholas Rigby, who both died the same year, one in his late 90s. ???  The other had a son only 10 years younger than him. ???  Forward a few generations and the alleged son of St. John Rigby (the son who was 2 years older than his ma)  had 7 children in 6 years with his wife, which seemed to include 2 sets of twins. (Possible). The tree does have the correct parents of St. John Rigby.
Cowban