Author Topic: Simmonite Death  (Read 1224 times)

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Simmonite Death
« on: Monday 17 April 17 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi,

For many years I have been trying to find the death of Benjamin Simmonite born 1861, Sheffield.

I have Benjamin on all the census up to and including 1901 (Sheffield). His family moved to Leicester between the years 1901 - 1911 but Benjamin does not appear on the 1911 with his family, however his wife Emily declared herself on the 1911 as married.

On Emily's probate record she's recorded as wife of Benjamin rather than widow.

I had thought he'd moved to Scotland with his son who joined the Black Watch but his son (Gilbert) joined BW in Leeds.

I would be most grateful if anyone could find Benjamin's death for me please as this is the only 'piece of jigsaw' missing with regard to this man.

Thanks for looking.

JJ

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Simmonite Death
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:49 BST (UK) »
He's not the Benjamin Simonite horticulturalist & florist of 38 Derwent St Sheffield died 29 Mar 1909 probate to Francis Simonite florist & Fanny Beal [wife of George Thomas Beal] is he??

ADDED: What were Benjamin & Emily's childrens' names?

Although Emily died in 1922, I would have thought that Benjamins has likely died by 1915 as CWGC site says Gilbert [died 1915] was son of Mrs Simmonite, 43 Prospect Hill, Leicester. They may have been separated of course.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:31 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply. He is not the Benjamin Simmonite who died in 1909.

With regard to the CGWC record of Gilbert, I also had the same thoughts that Benjamin had died before 1915. However I was informed that it was quite usual for the mother's name to be recorded.

Thank you, I have full details of Benjamin and Emily's children.

JJ

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 April 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Have you checked 1939 in case he was still around then?

There's a Ben Simmonite marriage in Leicester Sep 1938.  I know that would make him an older groom but just in case!
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 17 April 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
I wonder why the probate for Emily was to William and not Benjamin as widower, is that significant do you think?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 17 April 17 22:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I have full details of Benjamin and Emily's children.
My reasoning for asking was that if you told us their childrens' names, it may help find him....

I wonder why the probate for Emily was to William and not Benjamin as widower, is that significant do you think?
I thought this too but if Benjamin had, say, deserted the family Emily may have named a son as executor.

ADDED:
There's a Ben Simmonite marriage in Leicester Sep 1938.  I know that would make him an older groom but just in case!

This may be that Ben
Deaths Jun 1977   
SIMMONITE    BEN    28MR1894    LEICESTER C    6   1656
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 12:01 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for all the input.

The Ben Simmonite who married in 1938, can be found on the 1939 and died in 1977 was Benjamin and Emily's son.

I have checked the 1939 for Benjamin snr but he's not recorded. Equally I have followed all of the children and spoken to a number of descendants who have no idea when Benjamin died, he's certainly proving to be rather elusive.

Perhaps the next course of action would be to purchase Emily's will to see if there are any clues  ???

Once again thank you for your time Josey and Milliepede  :)

JJ

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 12:53 BST (UK) »
Do post if you get the will and/or find out anything else  :).

I can't find any reference in the papers or a migration, though I am sure you have already looked at these. Have you tried British deaths at sea or overseas?

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Josey,

Have tried British Deaths at Sea 1781-1968 with no results  ???

I do not have access to overseas deaths other than what is available on Family Search. Perhaps that avenue needs to be explored further.

JJ