Author Topic: James Ward Usher's Grandparents  (Read 3151 times)

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Ward Usher's Grandparents
« on: Monday 17 April 17 17:59 BST (UK) »
Back in April 2009, contributor “emmband” started a thread “Fred and James” stating an interest in the possible relationship between Fred Usher (1871-1936) and James Ward Usher (1845-1921). Fred was born in Lincolnshire, but at the time of the 1901 census was living in Oldham, Lancs.  JWU was born in Lincoln, and at the time of that census, was still living there. In his will JWU left his considerable fortune to the city of Lincoln, and the Usher Gallery (now part of “The Collection”) was built as a result.

My ancestors were clearly in the “Fred” line, but some years ago my father told me that there was some distant relationship between the two lines, Fred’s and JWU’s. Just like emmband before me, I became interested in what that relationship was.

I have traced my “Fred” line back to 1791, but I am rather new to this whole field, and am having some trouble with the JWU side.

According to the website “LINCS-to-the-past” (LTTP), JWU’s father was a jeweller and watchmaker, James Usher (d.1882). He had two brothers, the Reverend Henry Usher, and George Usher, a clock-case maker in Lincoln. There is no mention of any daughters. This website states that JWU’s grandfather was also called James Usher - a cabinet maker in St Swithin’s Parish, Lincoln.

I looked at the census for 1861 (FreeCEN) and found the family: James Usher (53) jeweller, head, b. Bulwell, Notts; Jane Usher(49) wife, b. Tetford, Lincs; James W Usher(16) jeweller, b. Lincoln; and Alfred H Usher (13) scholar, b. Lincoln. Also in the household was Mary Duckett, one of Jane’s sisters. In the 1871 census, Alfred is no longer in the household, but son JWU is still there, having gone into partnership with his father.

Round about here, I joined Ancestry, and soon came across Mark Usher’s comprehensive family tree of “Ushers in the censuses”. However, his tree showed JWU’s grandparents as Richard and Milicent Usher (m. 1800), and their children as James(1803), John(1805), James(1807), Henry(1810), and Ann(1811). All of these children were listed as born in Bulwell, Notts. There is no mention of any “George Usher”, clock-case maker, among their children.

My first thought was that this family must have been different from the one that, in the next generation, gave rise to JWU and his brother Alfred Henry Usher. However, the tree did show this James(1807) as the father of JWU, and as mentioned above, the census form for 1861 listed the head, James Usher(53, b. 1808), jeweller as having been born in Bulwell, as were all of the children of Richard and Milicent.

So if the Tree is correct, JWU’s grandparents were Richard and Milicent, but if LTTP is right, his grandfather was a James Usher.

I have searched Ancestry, to the best of my limited ability, and can find no record of another James, born in Bulwell in 1808 or 1807, other than the one who had Richard and Milicent as parents.

It seemed that the best way forward would be to secure birth certificates for James, George, and Henry, which I assume should list their parents. However, I wondered how I could make sure that I was getting the birth certificates for the correct James, George and Henry. So for now I have ordered a marriage certificate for Jane Duckett, which at a minimum, should tell me the name of her spouse’s father.

But this still leaves the problem of George, who does not appear in Mark Usher’s tree. There is one other party missing from the tree: Eliza Usher(b. Lincoln, 1821). In the 1841 (Ancestry) census, James Usher(b. 1808 “outside the census county”), “watchmaker”, 30, is living in Silver Street, Lincoln. The only other member of that household is Eliza Usher, 20, b. Lincoln. That was in 1841, and the very next year James married Jane Duckett, and Eliza disappeared. So who is this Eliza? The only lead I have on this was a bit of a surprise to me. There was an Eliza Usher, baptism 20 April 1821, at St Swithin’s, Lincoln. The parents:  Richard and Milicent Usher! I suppose that this makes it more likely that James Usher(1808), who was in the same household as Eliza, really did have parents Richard and Milicent also.

About a week ago, I wrote to LTTP asking about JWU’s grandparents, but have not yet heard back from them.
                        -macrote

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Ward Usher's Grandparents
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 April 17 21:17 BST (UK) »
Marriage 14 April 1842, St Peter in Eastgate
James USHER (son of Richard) to Jane DUCKET (dau of Thomas)

19 Sept 1850, at St Mary le WIGFORD
William MILLER (son of William) to Eliza USHER (dau of Richard)

GRO index gives JW USHER's mother as nee DUCKETT
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 April 17 22:36 BST (UK) »
Hello Geoff-E, and many thanks for this extra information. Clearly I should have posted before I sent off for the marriage certificate, for you would have saved me about $46 (!).

I am intrigued as to how you found the James/Jane marriage record that included the name of the groom's father. All I could find on Ancestry was the more usual: "here are all the people who got married at that location at that time, now sort them into pairs . . ."

With the information that you supplied, I was able to find the William Miller/Eliza Usher marriage record that gave Richard as the father of the bride. So that was why Eliza Usher did not appear in the 1851 census. In the 1861 census I think she and Jane are "Visitors" at a household in Jersey, Channel Islands.

I guess this means that the LTTP version need correcting.

Again, many thanks,  macrote

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 08:25 BST (UK) »
Many Lincs marriages have partial transcriptions (i.e. fathers' names but no occupations) which are to be found in spreadsheets here http://mi.lincolnshiremarriages.org.uk/ The appropriate one in this case was Lincoln (City).

Forty six dollars seems an awful lot for a certificate.  Obviously, Ancestry is a company and like to make a profit but the price for a certificate from the official source - the General Register Office - is Ł9.25. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

The GRO has a new(ish) facility which shows the mother's maiden name after performing a search.

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 10:14 BST (UK) »
findmypast.co.uk has images of the register for the marriages of James and Eliza, and baptisms of James Ward Usher in 1845 and Alfred Henry Usher in 1848.

David

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Geoff-E and dcbnwh, thanks for the replies, and for pointing out the existence of the Lincs spreadsheet. That could save a lot of time.

Right now I am trying to chase down the George Usher, who was allegedly one of the two brothers of James Usher, JWU's father, but I did not see his marriage (to Elizabeth) in the spreadsheet for Lincoln city. Work is ongoing!
          - macrote

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
Right now I am trying to chase down the George Usher, who was allegedly one of the two brothers of James Usher, JWU's father, but I did not see his marriage (to Elizabeth) in the spreadsheet for Lincoln city. Work is ongoing!

The spreadsheet only starts mid 1837.

There is a possible marriage in 1832 on FreeREG. I'll let you find it for yourself ;)

https://www.freereg.org.uk/

Prior to 1837, you didn't get father's names in the marriage register.

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Thank you for encouraging me to do it myself. I did not know of this site, but now it is bookmarked!

I expect you were alluding to the marriage of George Robinson Usher and Elizabeth Taylor, 18 Nov 1832.  Do you know of any on-line method for checking if George's father was Richard Usher?

The Lincs spreadsheet gave me the marriage of Henry Radford to Alvira Fields on 27 Sept 1842 at Holbeach, and confirmed that Henry's father was Richard Usher. That just leaves George.

- macrote

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 21:35 BST (UK) »
George Robinson Usher

This may be related to a marriage in 1773 (Lincoln, St Martin)
John USHER to Elizabeth ROBINSON

The marriage register is here (bottom left)
http://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=630445&iid=422323

This couple seem to have had a son, Richard, in 1778. http://tinyurl.com/k2ww988