Author Topic: Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881)  (Read 7928 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 00:20 BST (UK) »
"Feejee" is Fiji   :)   I have seen that spelling in a number of NSW BDM baptisms   :)

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Essie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 06:48 BST (UK) »
Re Marquis de Lauret...

This suggests there was a “marquisate OF Lauret” so may be named after a location? 
I can only find two very small villages/communes named Lauret in the south of France.
One was located in the Occitanie region, and the other located in the Nouvelle-Aquitaine region.

The Nobility usually had a family surname that was different to their title, e.g. ‘de Guerry de Lauret’ perhaps meaning something like ‘OF the Guerry family OF Lauret’?

Surnames for European ‘commoners’ when introduced were sometimes from locations or estates and not necessarily derived from occupations.

Somehow I am not convinced Auguste had a father who was the Governor of Pondicherry since there are no names in his time-frame that match with what appears to be well documented history of Pondicherry.

Essie

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 07:42 BST (UK) »
Wow - great find, Paul!

Re the shipping - I just thought it a little quaint to see the old spelling of what we now call Fiji.  ;)

Seems that there were two ships with the same name Letitia in Sydney at the end of September 1839.  The one I quoted before was a schooner, from Fiji with a cargo of yams; the only passengers noted were Mr and Mrs Spinney and 3 children.

Arrived Sydney 27 September, 1839
Letitia, ship 375 tons, master Black, from London June 3 and Plymouth June 13, with merchandise.  There is a list of 22 passengers: Mr.and Mrs. Meredith, Mrs. Saddler, Mr.and Mrs. Bellin, and child. Mr. Samuel Bawtrie, Mr.Thomas Rudd, Mr. John Davies, Mr. George Schultze, Mr. George Hodgkinson, Mr. Augustus Robinson, Mr. Robert Welch, surgeon, Miss Austin; Messrs. Mark, Walter, Peter and George Davidson, Mr. John Peppcrill, Mr. Henry Penson, Mr. William Walker, Mr. Augustus Delauret.
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/28653758

However - the actual images for the passenger list (Unassisted passengers, from NSW State Records Authority) list only 21 passengers and do not include Augustus.   ???

This report states the names of the cabin passengers which is the same as the list above down to Robert Welch and then says "and eight in steerage"  however the NSW Govt image only shows 4 in steerage - Miss Austin and three Donaldsons. Perhaps the others boarded later although the image is of entry documents signed on arrival into Port Jackson. 
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32165743
A bit odd to my way of thinking.  Seems Auguste mustn't have had much money if he was in steerage, and yet he had those friends in high places according to the letters of introduction. And I see on the letter quoted by Paul that he was introduced to Lord Beresford by a Mr Hope.

Wouldn't it be good to read about the fraud trial?   ;D

If you are interested in the cargo carried by the Letitia the manifest is here
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/32165710

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 08:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith and Essie,

Many thanks once again, why come that way round the world is my first question, but getting out of Britain might have been on his mind.

Pondicherry governor, you are not the only one thinking this too, why is only mentioned in the grandchildren's obituaries? I think there is a lot of diplomatic stretching of the truth and wishful thinking. I think his letters of 1841 are interesting as the nobles mentioned were never in Australia, and i think the fraud trial needs investigating further what type of fraud? He certainly had friends in places as they say, but what is the link with the Lett's of Kilgibbon, Co Wexford, as it seems all come to Gouldburn over time...

A few thoughts just thinking through the data, and i just wish they would stick to one name and it seems to change with the wind. I have been been working on daughter Julia Felicitas, married in Australia, then dies in Sussex England 1936 but buried in Goulburn and called Werhner or Werner, why....

Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 20 April 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
hi

table talk 3 Jul 1896  Marriage
  Julie Marie Atchison widow of the late James Osbourne Atchison,   to Herr Theodore Werner of Dublin and Amsterdam
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/145931006/17394480

Muss

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 20 April 17 02:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Muss,

Awesome thanks

Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 20 April 17 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hi

Lot information on net about Werner -played the violin

Muss

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 20 April 17 03:15 BST (UK) »
Hi

Death notice of Julia  died 20 Dec 1936  Mayfield, Sussex, England
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/17313088?searchTerm=werner%20sussex&searchLimits=l-decade=193|||l-category=Family+Notices

Muss

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 20 April 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
Was Julie actually buried at Goulburn or is it just that there's a memorial there for her?  Seems a long way to return a body, and almost certainly at least a 3-week voyage.  However, she is definitely mentioned on a Goulburn Old Cemetery list.  This list is not the official records of the cemetery though; it's been compiled by a volunteer and I suspect it contains names mentioned on memorials, not necessarily buried there.
From the Australian Cemeteries site (link below)
1183   WERNER   Julie Felicitas   RC8   23 December 1936, 80y. d. England.

Amazingly enough if you click on the link there are photos shown and the first one (with the angel) is of the de Lauret grave.  The tall column has MIs for A M de LAURET,  and a number of others including Julie Felicitas WERNER

http://www.australiancemeteries.com.au/nsw/goulburn/goulburnozold.htm

Free BMD has this death index entry
Dec qr, 1936 Julie F De L WERNER, 79   
Registered Uckfield Vol 2b,   p178   

And the WERNER marriage
1896, Jul qr, Julie Marie ATCHISON, Theodore WERNER

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk