Author Topic: Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881) Born 12 October 1810 Pondicherry, India  (Read 2216 times)

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Hi,
I wonder if anyone can help?
Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881)
Born   
12 October 1810   
Pondicherry, India

Died   
24 December 1881   
Goulburn, New South Wales, Australia

Have found mention of his name as:
Auguste Pierre de Guerry de Lauret

Passport issued to M. Auguste Pierre Clement de Guerry de Laurent by the Charge d'Affaires de France, 6 October 1835

Auguste de Laurent, 1811-1881, came to NSW in 1839

After his death there is mention of him as Marquis de Lauret, does anyone know of his parents?

According to his grand daughters obituary his father was the French Governor of Pondicherry, but which one? The British had captured it 1803-1816, in the period he as born there.

from Southern Argus (Goulburn, NSW), 29 December 1881

Last Saturday, at Wynella, another resident of long standing and high position in this district passed away in the person of A. G. [Auguste Pierre] De Lauret, Esq., J.P. Deceased was born in France, and that his family were people of distinction is shown by the fact of his having been attached to the Court of the last of the Bourbons, in the capacity, we understand, either of gentleman-at-arms or page. From the age of the deceased gentleman, at the time of his death, which was 71 years, and from what history tells us of the fate of the Bourbon dynasty, Mr De Lauret must have been about 20 years of age, when, with other followers of his royal master, he found it necessary to leave his country for more hospitable shores. In this way, like many others, he went to England, and there, as well as in Scotland, passed some years of his life. From his social status he became acquainted with gentlemen of position connected with the colonies, and by them was furnished with excellent letters of introduction to persons of high standing in New South Wales, in which colony he resolved to find a home. He arrived in Sydney about the year 1841, and soon after engaged in squatting pursuits, in connection with Sir Charles Nicholson and Mr. Lithgow, as managing partner. Tois brought Mr. De Lauret to Currandooloy, near Bungendore, where he remained for a few years; next removing to Kenmore, near Goulburn, at which place he resided for a long period. When the partnership with the above named gentlemen expired and the affairs wound up, he purchased Wynella, and having a well earned independence, he settled there with his family. Mr. De Lauret breathed his last at his residence on Saturday morning after a long illness, leaving a sorrowing widow and ten children, to whom he had been a fondly attached husband and father, Mr. De Lauret was a gentleman of great energy and intelligence, and for many years he had been naturalized and in the position of justice of the peace, As an old, upright, and intelligent magistrate, and respected resident, he will be long regretted by the Goulburn bench and by the people of the district generally. An honest and educated gentleman is a loss to any community, particularly a new one–insensibly he affects the manners and opinions of others, even if like the late Mr. De Lauret, he should be of retiring disposition and habits.

It only add to the confusion as he was not born in France.

If you can help i thank you in advance.

Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881) Born 12 October 1810 Pondicherry, India
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 03:55 BST (UK) »
NSW State Archives has the naturalisation papers for your chap.  Have you sighted them, and does the info re place and date of birth coincide with your research?   It is likely he was baptised at some stage in his life, if so, his baptismal record should note his Mum and Dad, and may even include Dad's occupation.

Auguste Pierre Clement De Guerry De LAURET's NSW naturalisation was likely to enable him to purchase land. The index has his certificate issued 11 Nov 1856.  That same index has his native place as France.  Indexes can have mistakes, so it may be worthwhile checking the actual document.

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/naturalization-citizenship-guide

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881) Born 12 October 1810 Pondicherry, India
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 04:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM

I found this for entries 2039 and 2040:
DE LAURET,Auguste P C De G C,"Pondicherry, E Indies (India)",12 Dec 1842,3,236,-,[4/1202],130,9845
DE LAURET,Auguste Pierre Clement De Guerry,France,11 Nov 1856,1,785,-,[4/1200],129,2068

Kind Regards
Paul Williams
Looking for Williams (Merthyr) and (Briton Ferry), as well as Abraham (Abercanaid)and Gerrard (Dorset and London)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 04:35 BST (UK) »
Have you sought access to the actual records held by NSW State Archives?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Auguste Pierre de Lauret (1810–1881) Born 12 October 1810 Pondicherry, India
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 04:43 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
Just found a letter 1st Feb 1842 Auguste to Sir George Gipps, mentions he left Pondicherry 1816 and went to France till dec 1830, then to Great Britain and sailed for New South Wales arriving 27th Sep 1839.

Also letter of denization 6th Feb 1842 George Gibbs To Lord Stanley.Mention of Marquis of Normanby and Lord Beresford.

I did wonder why he married at St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney...

Kind Regards
Paul Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 04:50 BST (UK) »
Maitland Mercury (Newspaper) 17 April 1850
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/694937

Married
On the 13th April at St Marys Cathedral, Sydney, Auguste P C Guerry de Lauret, Esq of Goulburn, to Anna Maria Ursula, fourth daughter of John Lett, Esq., late of Maitland.

It is very unlikely that the scant information on the NSW BDM's copy of the marriage will give you any background info about the parents of either the bride or groom, as NSW BDM's civil registration process commenced 1 March 1856.  BUT .....

Have you considered sending a written request to St Marys Cathedral to ask them, when they have a volunteer archivist available, to check their records for that 1850 marriage (13 April 1850) to see if there's any information recorded on their parish registers (including in any margin) regarding M. Auguste P C Guerry de Lauret. 

Fingers crossed, as NSW BDM seems to have the marriage as according to Presbyterian rites in the Morpeth/Maitland district...  and St Marys Cathedral is definitely located in Sydney and is Roman Catholic.    http://www.stmaryscathedral.org.au/contact-us.html

NSW BDM has 1850, Volume 96, line 433 and PC as the Code for the district  ???

JM

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:01 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,

I came across this wedding via the same newspaper report. From the letter details i have added above it looks like he was more than just average arrivee.

Kind Regards
Paul Williams

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:07 BST (UK) »
http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/103332865 30 Sept 1947 Goulburn Evening Post. 
Details of the family, and mention that Auguste's father was governor of Pondicherry when there were Kings of France.   (Likely that would refer to the Bourbon Dynasty 1815-1830)

ADD,  I just checked my offline resources .... Errr .... Napoleon I reign 1804-1814 .... so if Auguste born 1810, India, during Napoleon I's empire, not during Louis or Charles.... sorry  :-[  :-[  :-[  and I should have known this, afterall, my g g g grandfather was at Trafalgar .... :-[  :-[  :-[  :-X

JM   

Offline paulwilliams

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
Hi JM,
Yes i have seen that mention in his grand daughters obituarty.
Just trying to figure out who his father might be from this list (French Governors of Pondicherry):
First British occupation, January 15, 1761 - June 25, 1765 <-- Treaty of Paris (1763)
Jean Law de Lauriston, 1765–1766
Antoine Boyellau, 1766–1767
Jean Law de Lauriston, 1767 – January 1777
Guillaume de Bellecombe, seigneur de Teirac, January 1777–1782
Charles Joseph Pâtissier, Marquis de Bussy-Castelnau, 1783–1785
Le Vicomte, François de Souillac, 1785
David Charpentier de Cossigny, October 1785–1787
Thomas, comte de Conway, October 1787–1789
Camille Charles Leclerc, chevalier de Fresne,1789–1792
Dominique Prosper de Chermont, November 1792–1793
L. Leroux de Touffreville, 1793
Second British occupation, August 23, 1793 – 18 June 1802 <-- Treaty of Amiens (1802)
Charles Matthieu Isidore, Comte Decaen, June 18, 1802 - August 1803
Louis François Binot, 1803
Third British occupation, August 1803 – 26 September 1816 <-- Treaty of Paris (1814)

Might have to start at the last and work backwards.

Kind Regards
Paul Williams