Author Topic: Immigration Natal 1875 Hatley family  (Read 474 times)

Offline Catherine Wait

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Immigration Natal 1875 Hatley family
« on: Tuesday 18 April 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, I would like to know if it is possible to get a copy of a original passenger list for immigration into Natal 1875.  I have the transcription from eggsa, but found that the information was not correct (bad handwritting?).  The family I am researching arrived on the "Basuto" 22 May 1875 - John H Hatley 25, Elizabeth Hatley 22, Elizabeth Alice Hatley 2, and Ann Amelia inf.  On Elizabeth Hatley's Death Notice (NAB archives) her husband is Joseph Hatley.  The daughter Elizabeth Alice is definitely Elizabeth Hannah Hatley (have a few references including her names on her mothers Death Notice) and the infant is Annie Amelia Hatley.  My problem is that I have a marriage of Joshep Henry Hatley  to Elizabeth Alice Rowen on 24 Dec 1871 in Pancras, London and I'm really sure this is the family but need a positive reference before I will record the information as such.  My other question is on the passenger list the surety is F N Hatley of Newcastle but in brackets in red  "Free immigration" does this mean they paid their own tickets to get to South Africa?

Thanks
Catherine
Ridley (Northumberland)
Turnbull (Northumberland))
Hatley (London)
McFadden (Donegal and Tasmania)

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Immigration Natal 1875 Hatley family
« Reply #1 on: Friday 21 April 17 09:58 BST (UK) »
I suggest you put this on the South African genealogy group on Facebook, lots of people giving assistance.
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.