Author Topic: Daniel Potter  (Read 1247 times)

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Daniel Potter
« on: Tuesday 18 April 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
Hello

I don't know if anyone can help me but I am trying to find a baptism of a Daniel Potter who according to 1841 and 1851 census was born 1799. His parents were James and Jane Potter nee  Houldsworth.  :)

He married Helen Bolton 28.01.1823 at Inveresk with Musselburgh. Daniel was a shoemaker.

The couple had 10 children of which my great grandmother was the youngest Mary circa 1845  ::)

Also I am trying to locate a marriage of James Potter and Jane O J Houldsworth prior to 1799.  Jane's father was Stephen.  ;)

Marriage of William James Bolton and Elizabeth Story prior to 1803 :o

The census 1841 and 1851 are in Midlothian for Daniel and Helen and most of the family I think remained up there.  I think Daniel may have died sometime between the 1851 -1861 census as I think Helen is on the 1861, 1871 and 1881 census as per LDS (no details) in Dalkeith and she is aged 79 ???

Any assistance would be gratefully received I am finding the Scottish branch a bit of a trial.

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel Potter
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:47 BST (UK) »

Also I am trying to locate a marriage of James Potter and Jane O J Houldsworth prior to 1799.  Jane's father was Stephen.  ;)

This looks to be the marriage for them in 1798 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1P-6M2

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:54 BST (UK) »
The only source of BMD information including original images is Scotlands People. It is pay to view but costs are reasonable.

From the general index which is free to search once you register, this looks like Daniel Potter's death:

Daniel Potter, aged 60 died in 1858 in Dalkeith, ref 683/ 95

Scottish death certs include parents' details and spouse if married, if known to the informant.

Monica

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
This looks to be Helen Potter in 1881 (transcribed as Patter on the transcript I am looking at):

George Tennant 28 Letter Carrier b. Temple, Midlothian
Mary Tennant 22 b. Temple, Midlothian
Jannet Dunc Tennant 2
Henriatta Dunc Tennant 7 Months
Helen Patter 79 grandmother Annuitant b. Dalkeith

Monica

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 December 21 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello MonicaL

Well I now have the marriage of James Potter and Jean Holdsworth in 1798.  It was recorded in 2 registers on one he was a tanner on the other in The Shropshire Militia. 

On Daniel there is nothing on Scotlands people I have purchased the the death record and it says father James Potter deceased a shoemaker.  Helen Daniel's wife I have also got her death cert.

Thanks for your help

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 16 December 21 21:26 GMT (UK) »
So, father James Potter likely hailed from England/Shropshire you would think.

Monica

Offline eileendavid

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 December 21 22:27 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica

James Potter was in the Shropshire Militia and the Militia went into Scotland in 1797.  He married Jane/Jean Holdsworth in 1798 at Cannongate Edingburgh but it was recorded in 2 parishes on one he said he was a tanner and on the other he said he was in the Shropshire Militia.  They were disbanded in 1802 I believe. 

His best man was a John Bright who married Agnes Smith on the same day and both acted as witness for each other. 

Can't find any baptisms of children for either of them and only know about Daniel from his death certificate when it was recorded he was James Potter deceased a shoemaker and his mother was Jane Holdsworth.  Her father was Stephen and he was a clothier in Dalkeith?

I am beginning to think you are correct and that James and John both came from the Shropshire area and married two girls who were from Scotland.  Other than Daniel there doesn't seem to be any other children or anything for the Brights either.

There was something strange on Daniel who married Helen Bolton had one of their children baptised in London although the other 9 were in Dalkeith. 

Yours confused ?

Eileen