Author Topic: Magdalen Portman 1808-1838  (Read 1313 times)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Magdalen Portman 1808-1838
« on: Tuesday 18 April 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to find out a little more about a potential ancestor of mine, Magdalen Portman who died in 1838, 30 years old. I can only find a mention of her in 1 record, her death. She is said to have been from Blackfriars Wynd and is buried in "N Smeatons Ground".

This is why I'm sure she must be an ancestor, I have another Portman ancestor who is buried in "N Smeatons Ground" also.

Can anyone help me track down some more records pertaining to this Magdalen Portman?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Magdalen Portman 1808-1838
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Struggling to see much more on Magdalen Portman, although there does seem to be a possible family for her with parents Joseph Portman and Margaret Monro. Was it mother Margaret that died in 1841?

There is certainly gaps for their children given that only daughters Grace's marriage shows in 1824 (born c. 1803 after parents married in 1802) and birth of daughter Margaret in 1812.

Patch info isn't there  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:34 BST (UK) »
Joseph Portman, spirit seller, shows at 234 Cowgate, 1837-38 www.archive.org/stream/postofficeannual183738edin#page/86/mode/2up

A stone throw (nearly!) from Blackfriars Wynd https://canmore.org.uk/site/search/result?NUMLINK=117866&view=map

Monica

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica, Joseph Portman and Margaret Monro (who did indeed die in 1841) are my 5 x great grandparents. I did hope to prove Magdalen was their daughter but hadn't managed to. I also thought it was a bit strange the gap between grace and margarets births. I always expected to find more children, but never did.

When I searched on google maps for blackfriars wynd and Cowgate its showing as over 40 miles, is that right or do I have the wrong blackfriars?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
There is a Blackfriars Wynd that pops up in Perth in current maps. You need to search for the Edinburgh one. Blackfriars Wynd is now also known as Blackfriars Street. 234 Cowgate (where Joseph shows on the Directory) is right at the corner of Cowgate/Blackfriars Wynd (Street). See https://canmore.org.uk/site/120912/edinburgh-234-cowgate

Monica

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks alot Monica, there are so few Portmans in Edinburgh around the start of the 19th Century, I feel sure Magdalen has to be Joseph and Margarets Daughter.

Also I know that Joseph was born in "Foreign Parts" and I may be wrong but Magdalen sounds possibly German or Polish or Czech perhaps. I know several Magdas from Poland.

Still wish I could find a birth record though. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be one?

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:25 BST (UK) »
Official Scottish registration only became a requirement from 1855. Before this date you are reliant on the Old Parish Registers. These cover in the main events for the established Church of Scotland, ie presbyterian.

In addition, many registers have been lost or destroyed over the years.

Only about a third of BMD events were noted in the registers at the time, with burials being the worst recorded.

All a bit of hit and miss pre 1855  :-\ And when you check the registers, very often only very limited info was recorded. Often no more than a one liner...

Monica

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:31 BST (UK) »
Drat! Well, seeing as I've not found another Portman family living in Edinburgh at this time I think I will add her to the tree  8)

Thank you very much for the help  :)

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:39 BST (UK) »
Just in case you are curious where Smeatons Ground was, it seems after much discussion here www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=456682.0 that it is to be found in the Canongate Churchyard (for background www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=639768).

Monica  :)