Author Topic: Magdalen Portman 1808-1838  (Read 1317 times)

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Magdalen Portman 1808-1838
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks Monica  :)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 09:17 BST (UK) »
Also I know that Joseph was born in "Foreign Parts" and I may be wrong but Magdalen sounds possibly German or Polish or Czech perhaps. I know several Magdas from Poland.
I would not rely too heavily on that. Magdalen(e)/Madel(e)ine does occur in Scotland. I searched SP for given name M*d*l*n* and there are 5,536 occurrences of the name in the baptisms in Old Parish Registers, of which 3,967 were before 1800. There are more spelling variants than I ever imagined!

Still wish I could find a birth record though. I wonder why there doesn't appear to be one?
Have you checked the Roman Catholic and other churches' registers on SP? If that doesn't help, it may be that the Portmans belonged to the Episcopal church, or to some other denomination whose baptism registers do not survive.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Mamsoth

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 18:33 BST (UK) »
Hi Forfarian. Yes, soon after my last post I did check Magdalen on SP. Didn't realise there wud be that many results in Scotland. :o

I have checked quite thoroughly on SP and alas have had no joy.

I will have to recheck what I do hav on the Portmans to remind myself of their religious denomination. Will edit this post when I get a moment to check  :)