Author Topic: Surtees family of Ebchester, Milkwell Burn, Redworth and Hamsterley Hall  (Read 2155 times)

Offline Dawniemeg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hi

Can anyone help me connect these families to my tree please.
I have a Cuthbert Surtees born 1580 Ebchester, and I have the Surtees family of Milkwell Burn and Hamsterley Hall on my tree.  I have also information of the Redworth Surtees, I am trying to connect the Redworth family to my tree (if there is one)

Can anyone help

Many thanks
Dawn

Offline pb3

• RootsChat Member
  • 'Always look on the bright side...'
    • View Profile
Re: Surtees family of Ebchester, Milkwell Burn, Redworth and Hamsterley Hall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 04 June 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Dawn
         I've attached 2 PDFs which refer to the members of the Surtees family buried in Ebchester Churchyard - Burial Records and Monumental Inscriptions. The burial records under the reign of Bishop Barrington are particularly informative.

Good luck with your jigsaw puzzle.

PatB.

Offline Dawniemeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 June 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
HiPatB

Many thanks for your information, I can look through my tree again,

Sorry I didn't reply earlier but thank you again
Dawn

Offline Borderer58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 May 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have been researching Surtees of Ebchester if I have got it right I have the Baptism of a Catherine Surtice/Surtees on the 28 Feb 1716 who went on to marry William Blackburn I was assuming that she was the daugther of Robert Surtees & Catherine Ward. But I have since seen that some family trees say that Robert Surtees who married in 1715 by license to Sarah Ward (I have various dates for the marriage) died in the same year. I have Ebchester burial records and there is indeed a Robert Surtees that dies in 1715 but he is buried on the 8th of March 1715 which is at least 5 months after his burial. I wonder. I wonder if any one can help with an explanation? Thanks

Hi

Can anyone help me connect these families to my tree please.
I have a Cuthbert Surtees born 1580 Ebchester, and I have the Surtees family of Milkwell Burn and Hamsterley Hall on my tree.  I have also information of the Redworth Surtees, I am trying to connect the Redworth family to my tree (if there is one)

Can anyone help

Many thanks
Dawn

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 14:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi
With regards to the Surtees family I wonder if any of you could possibly help me with my brick wall . I am trying to find any information with regards to the parents of Edward Surtees born circa 1780 . From census details it has him as a native of Lanchester and also of Ebchester . His wife was called Ann Durham born in Lamesley . Edward and Ann were married in Gateshead January 16th 1802. The family later lived at Rake House in Northumberland .
Here are the details of the baptisms of 2 of their children.Baptisms Tynemouth Christ Church:

John Surtees, born 27 Apr 1803, baptised 5 Jun 1803 1st son of Edward Surtees of High Chirton, labourer, native of Ebchester by his wife Ann Durham native of Lamesley

Mary Surtees, born 20 Oct 1804, baptised 14 Apr 1805 1st daur of Edward Surtees of Chirton, Brickmaker, native of Lanchester by his wife Ann Durham of Lamesley.

I have spent many years trying to find out the parentage of Edward but I just keep hitting brick walls . If anyone could help it would be appreciated.
regards
Richie

Offline Dawniemeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just looked on my tree and I don't have the same Edward but reading other posts, your Edward seems to have disappeared.

I have just downloaded something that someone sent me a while ago, not sure if it will be any help, my emails is dawnpollard7@aol.co.uk and I can send it to you.

Thanks, sorry not much help, are you a descendant?

Dawn

Offline RICHIE

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 16:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi
yes . I have a Margaret Surtees born 1859 and married to Walter Lewis . These are my great grandparents and lived in South Shields . Margaret was the daughter of Robert Surtees 1835 married to Sarah Keir . Robert Surtees is the son of John Surtees ( 1803 ) married to Margaret Flint . Robert was born in Rake House Northumberland and is the son of my elusive Edward Surtees. The Surtees were a very large family with many branches . I would really love to find out about his parentage but I don't seem to be getting anywhere .
Richie

Offline Dawniemeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thanks, Ive just looked at my tree and I don't have your Surtees on it, but to be honest I think I need to revisit the tree again from the start, my line is James Surtees Dixon, his mother Jane Surtees 1795

Sorry I couldn't be of any help, if I come across anything I will let you know

Thanks
Dawn

Offline Dawniemeg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 02 March 22 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have just come across a tree on ancestry, the tree owner is Victor Avery, if you aren't on ancestry I could contact him for you, his tree looks like it is well researched.

Dawn