Author Topic: Help with Ancestry Photos  (Read 3673 times)

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Ancestry Photos
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:07 BST (UK) »

You are giving permission for Ancestry to use them, but not other users. By adding copies to their trees, they are, in effect, submitting that data afresh, and they do not have copyright permission.

For the databases we all use, such as censuses, they have negotiated copyright permission with the original owners, and paid fees for it.

No, you are incorrect. Once you have attached an image to your tree, anyone on Ancestry can use that image in their tree. There is even an Ancestry help to show you how to do it. As I said, you have Licensed Ancestry to use your photograph. They have negotiated the copyright permission with you by default the moment you upload a picture, as laid out in the Ts and Cs. They are getting them for free (ie the negotiated fee is zero which you have agreed to). You have retained the copyright if they are your pictures but you have given them permission to use them as they please, (or as detailed in the list in their Ts & Cs).

Simon

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:23 BST (UK) »
The photos will still be on the other tree, given time they will probably be on a few other trees also because people copy photos and add them to their trees, even if they are in no way connected.
You used to be able to track back photos to the original poster/tree, not sure if ancestry still offer this. It was educational to see the different names and locations attributed to a person in a photo.

Out of interest, would it be possible to "water mark" [if that is the correct term,] photos, so that if they are copied in a random manner the name put on them remains?   :-\
Though no doubt that could still be cropped off I suppose.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:37 BST (UK) »
Out of interest, would it be possible to "water mark" [if that is the correct term,] photos, so that if they are copied in a random manner the name put on them remains?   :-\
Though no doubt that could still be cropped off I suppose.

I don't see why not, they are your photos, so there is nothing to stop you printing your name right across them. That might stop a lot of people just taking them, unless they had the knowledge of how to remove that without spoiling the photo.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
They might turn up on the photo repair board ::)
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 10:25 BST (UK) »
I've not used watermarking software, but there is plenty of it available, and often free for limited use.

Martin

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
I've not used watermarking software, but there is plenty of it available, and often free for limited use.

Martin

Microsoft Word allows you to put a watermark on a page. If you then use the snipping program (as part of Windows), you will have a picture with a watermark.

Using Word allows you to resize the finished picture to whatever you want, while leaving the original untouched.

The tools you need are already on your computer.

Regards

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 11:23 BST (UK) »
Of course.  Very true.

Online lydiaann

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:28 BST (UK) »
I think it's very rude of people to 'lift' information you have worked so hard to discover/publish.  If I see something that pertains to one of my rellies, I always ask nicely if I can add the pic/document/info to my tree and offer to give info in return (my trees are private) if it pertains to their records.  99 percent of the time, people are only too happy to oblige.  After all, it's only good manners, isn't it? 
Cravens of Wakefield, Alnwick, Banchory-Ternan
Houghtons and Harrises of Melbourne, Derbyshire
Taylors of Chadderton/Oldham, Lancashire
MacGillivrays of Mull
Macdonalds of Dundee

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:47 BST (UK) »
I do not have my own tree on Ancestry, just a small skeleton tree on behalf of a friend. I have in the past posted a couple pictures which I watermarked as my  copyright, they have never been lifted, I have since removed them.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.