Author Topic: Electoral roll  (Read 323 times)

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
Electoral roll
« on: Tuesday 18 April 17 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I need some information, that I really would prefer to be sent via pm as it is regarding a living person.

So  what I need is information regarding Electoral roll lists in NSW between the years of 1950 and 1960

and  could someone tell me if its feasible and or possible that names on the list are actually wrong,

I know its a strange query, but it is quiet important that I find certain things out. 

thank you..

Xin xxxx   :)   ;) ;) ;)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Electoral roll
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
When a person moves from one address to the other, it is their responsibility to change their address on the Electoral Roll.
Often this not occur until an election is about to take place.

Some people who do not take this step for one reason or another, may appear at an address where they no longer reside.
  They may not appear at all anywhere if they choose not to vote (for which there is a penalty in Australia)

I daresay yet others may give a false address.

So, to that extent the information on rolls can be" wrong".
Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
Xin,

I agree with Sue's comments, and add that even the stated occupations can be misleading.   These Electoral Rolls do not show any marital status nor are they compiled by household.  They also do not show any 'foreigners' who have not taken out Citizenship.   An example from my own first hand experience:   I can see my parents listed in the 1950s, and I am old enough to know that my mother was not 'home duties' .... she was 'gainfully' employed as a bookkeeper, drawing wages in her own name.   At that same polling place, and at the same 'street address' (a road in rural NSW, farms etc, no street numbers on the roll) I can find most of our adult neighbours, except for the couple who migrated from Eastern Europe, and had not yet become citizens.  None of my contemporaries are named on these 1950s rolls, because none of us were 21 years or over, we are Baby Boomers.  BUT I am quite sure that our local doctor and his wife were tragically killed in the late 1950s (and I can find NSW BDM index entries that seem to support that, and local family history groups have submitted info supporting it too).   And the doctor and his wife are still listed in the 1963 electoral roll at same address as in those 1950s ones.   I think you will find that the Returning Officer for that polling place would have noted the lack of their 1963 vote and followed it up in a report to the Electoral Commission, who then would send a card (brown postcard size) to the address asking for confirmation details about the then current residents. 

Hoping this info is useful,

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Finley 1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • a digital one for now real one espere
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 01:09 BST (UK) »
Yep that is all extremely useful   thanks JM and Sue

xxxxx much appreciated

xin