Author Topic: No Church Burial Service - C of E Rules (Simpson & Hood question?)  (Read 2891 times)

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
Re: No Church Burial Service - C of E Rules (Simpson & Hood question?)
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 20:06 BST (UK) »

Could be a simple reason why George Hood origins are not traceable
---------------------------------
Book of Common Prayer 1760 middle image ' Burial of the Dead '

Extract ~ " Here is to be noted, That the Office ensuing is not to be used for any that die unbaptised "

That could be the reason George Hood baptism cannot be found and reason he was buried in the Quaker burial ground as a none member Quaker not of the their faith.

Question ; - did the same rule of needing to be baptised apply to his marriage 1815 to Sarah Russel  in Selby abbey of Anglican faith being C of E (or George lied then about being baptised at marriage 1815 but his family realizing he was going to meeting is maker at death - the truth came out that he was not baptized)

Hello

Thank you for the replies.

Excepting Quakers and Jews, under Hardwicke's Marriage Act (to prevent Clandestine Marriage), if George Hood wished to marry, George would have to marry in the Parish Church or Chapel of the Church of England [whether he was baptised or not] under Hardwicke's Act.

"Although Jews and Quakers were exempted from the 1753 Act, it required religious non-conformists and Catholics to be married in Anglican churches." Many of these would not be baptised in the C of E.

George Hood & Sarah Russell were not marying in haste, there was a two month gap between the Marriage Allegation and Bond date (16th May) for a Licence and the Marriage date (18th July 1815). They had plenty of time to use the Banns process, but married by Licence instead.

Although Selby Church called him George Hood of Selby on the Marriage Bond, if no Parish Church had a formal baptism record in their Parish Register, then this might also explain the necessity for a Marriage Allegation and Bond and to marry by Licence.

George & Sarah Hood, did have their 8 children baptised (last child baptised 1835).

However, it could well be the case that George Hood himself was unbaptised by the Parish Church.

----------

George Hood did not apply to the Quakers for Membership until 1836, but was refused membership of the Quakers (York Monthly Meeting Minutes - at Leeds, Brotherton Lib.)

Regarding his Sons William & James Hood who later became Quakers, they did not marry until after George Hood's 1845 death and so I don't think they had a bearing on George Hood's Quaker burial.

-----------

The 1760 rule was according to the 1876 House of Commons debate still applicable.

1) The Parish Church were required to bury the dead.
2) However, their Office (or official process) under Ecclesiastical Law meant they could likely refuse to conduct a Service (nobody officiating from the church at burial).

I have read that nobody of the Church would officiate, that the coffin would be taken direct to the grave, lowered in and filled and some of these were originally buried during the hours of darkness, at night.

------------

Also interesting to note, that around the year George Hood was born, John Hood of Selby, Mariner was living in the house belonging to Jno TURNER who was also linked to the Presbyterian Chapel (as both Turner entries disappear in the Selby Land Tax together in 1790), when Turner's house was sold to John Spencer and also the Chapel changes hands too, in the same year.

Perhaps the Turner Nonconformist attitude, swayed John Hood of Selby Mariner, not to baptise George Hood in the Parish Church. Unfortunately, the Selby Presbyterian Chapel records are missing from 1690 until 1797.

Mark

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 31 May 18 21:13 BST (UK) »
I don't know if this is of interest.In 1979 my baby son died aged 5 months,we hadn't got round to having him baptized so,as a catholic we couldn't have a church ceremony only a graveside one.At least he was buried in a cemetery and not outside the walls which happened for many years.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 31 May 18 21:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage is not a sacrament in the Church of Scotland & marriages were generally conducted in the manse or at home, not the kirk.  Episcopalians were the non-conformists in Scotland & the penal laws against them were not relaxed until 1788.

Skoosh.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:09 BST (UK) »
Hello sandyjose

Thank you.

I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your Son.

My Son, died he was 23.

I am interested in the Funeral Service arrangement, as my George Hood of Selby was given a burial in the Selby Quaker burial ground, despite not being a Quaker and apparently having no Quaker birthright, suggesting he may not have been baptised C of E to qualify for a C of E funeral service.

So it looks like the Catholics did something similar, no baptism - no funeral service in church.

Interesting though this stance of no funeral service in church for an unbaptised child, as I am sure the Catholics believe in the resurrection of those lost in death. It is this resurrection assurance that keeps me going regarding my Son.

If the Catholics believe God will resurrect the dead including your Son, then why not allow an unbaptised child's funeral in their church.

Take care, Mark

Offline sandyjose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:32 BST (UK) »

Thank you for your kind words,losing a son at 23 must be so hard to bear.It used to be the case in Ireland,and other places that if a baby(or an adult) died having not been baptized they weren't allowed to be buried in a cemetery,they had to be buried outside it.To my mind,these are all rules created by the church and are unacceptabe.

Online BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 June 18 23:58 BST (UK) »
Marriage is not a sacrament in the Church of Scotland & marriages were generally conducted in the manse or at home, not the kirk.  Episcopalians were the non-conformists in Scotland & the penal laws against them were not relaxed until 1788.

Skoosh.

Hello Skoosh

Thank you.

Your comment has raised quite important questions, relating specifically to my own family history research ...

Regarding Episcopalian and the Laws not being relaxed until 1788, are you saying that there may be no record of a Marriage, or some Marriages before 1788?

Or are you saying basically that all Marriages ought to have come under Church of Scotland arrangements before 1788?

Because this might be the reason why we can't find a Marriage for John Hood of Selby, Mariner, who was reputed to be married to Jane Hood (buried Selby, Yorkshire, August 1803, aged 65).

I presume all the Marriages at the Minister's Home, or Manse, or at Home were all recorded in their Church of Scotland Register?

Mark

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 02 June 18 08:46 BST (UK) »
Mark, the Piskies (Episcopalians) were tainted by Jacobitism hence the closure of their chapels & their adherents persecuted &  worship limited to five persons. The building of St Andrew's in the Green in Glasgow for example was largely for the use of English soldiers posted to the city.

Most if the marriages did not take place in the kirk but should still be recorded in the parish registers with details of the Banns. ScotlandsPeople can help with these. Google, the Episcopal Church of Scotland, for their records.

Skoosh.