Author Topic: John Daley (County Cork) and Mary Flynn Daley (County Connacht)--Idaho  (Read 952 times)

Offline teris1958

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Daley (County Cork) and Mary Flynn Daley (County Connacht)--Idaho
« on: Tuesday 18 April 17 23:42 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone.  Oh, how I would love to solve the puzzle of how my great-great grandparents might've met in Indiana and made it to Idaho.

Here's the information I have:

JOHN DALEY
1827-1903, buried Placerville Cemetery, Placerville, Idaho.  This is confirmed as I've seen his headstone.  Believe he's from County Cork, Ireland per his naturalization papers.  Was a farmer in Idaho; near or in Horseshoe Bend, Idaho. 

MARY FLYNN DALEY
1837-1927, buried Placerville Cemetery, Placerville, Idaho.  She is indeed buried there as I've seen the headstone.  My father's information indicates she's from County Connacht, Ireland.  Her death certificate shows her father's name as Andrew Flynn; her mother's name as Anne or Ann Golden.  Only "Ireland" as her country of origin. 

Back to John Daley:  He arrived Baltimore July 15, 1846, age 26.  Per State of Indiana:
Aged 26, born in County of Cork in Ireland.  He emigrated from Cork 1846 and arrived in the US in Baltimore, Maryland, July 15, 1846.  He became a citizen of the US December 28, 1885.

John Daley had seven children per my records:
Elizabeth Agnes Daley:  1858-1860
Patrick Henry Daley/or perhaps Henry Patrick Daley: 1861-1924 (married to Cora Skyles but later divorced)
Mary Agnes Daley Penrod: 1863-1924
John Andrew Daley: 1864-1947 (unmarried to my knowledge)
Lizzie Jane Daley Reid: 1866-1937 (married to James Reid).  My great-grandmother.
Anna Theresa Daley: 1877-1941 (unmarried to my knowledge)
Catherine Daley Nash: 1860-?  Married to James Nash.

Any information is appreciated.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: John Daley (County Cork) and Mary Flynn Daley (County Connacht)--Idaho
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 11:53 BST (UK) »
Have found an 1860 census that looks like a possibility for John & Mary:

Name:   John Daley
Birth Year:   abt 1830
Birth Place:   Ireland
Home in 1860:   San Francisco District 9, San Francisco, California
Post Office:   San Francisco

Household Members:   
Name          Age
John Daley    30      Born Ireland
Mary Daley   22      Born Ireland
Catharine Daley   1        Born California

On this census John is shown as a Machinist. 

Found the census via daughter Catherine. The first daughter Elizabeth died 1860 but must have been before the census was taken.

All the other children except Annie were born in California but have not found births as yet.

Source Citation
Year: 1860; Census Place: San Francisco District 9, San Francisco, California; Roll: M653_68; Page: 1032;

In 1870 the family are in Idaho

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 12:58 BST (UK) »
Indiana Marriage:

Name:   John Daily
Marriage Date:   24 Feb 1857
Marriage Place:   Tippecanoe, Indiana
Spouse:   Mary Flin
FHL Film Number:   872050
Reference ID:   indn279b r2 v7 p204
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 14:24 BST (UK) »
On the basis of an immigration year of 1846 I have found 2 census records for a John Daley (Daily) on the 1850 Indiana census which may be worth following up.  However on the 1900 census both John & Mary give an immigration year of 1855.

1. Name:   John Daily
Birth Year:   abt 1825
Birthplace:   Ireland
Home in 1850:   Lafayette Ward 1, Tippecanoe, Indiana, USA
Family Number:   627
Household Members:   
Name          Age
John Daily           25   Labourer
Margaret Daily   20
James Daily   3
Mary A Daily   1

2. Name:   John Dailey
Birth Year:   abt 1822
Home in 1850:   Lafayette Ward 1, Tippecanoe, Indiana, USA
Family Number:   756
Household Members:   
Name   Age
Owen Oneal   52
Enlia Oneal   21
Michael Oneal   6
John Oneal   5
Mary Oneal   1
John Dailey   28   Labourer
Daniel Pond   27

The second one looks more favourable.

On the 1910 census Mary (if I have the correct one) gives an immigration year of 1849. If the 1849 year is correct for Mary I have found a Mary Flynn (Phlinn) in Indiana in 1850, again it may be worth following up:

Name:   Mary Phlinn
Birth Year:   abt 1839
Home in 1850:   Vincennes, Knox, Indiana, USA
Family Number:   1261

She is in an orphanage and looks to be with a sister Winifred age 3 also born Ireland.

The above is simply provided as an option for exploring without concrete evidence of immigration year it is difficult to set the start year.

Ray

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Connaught is one of the four Provinces of Ireland not a county- Galway, Leitrim, Mayo, Roscommon and Sligo are its counties:

http://www.svpal.org/~colleeng/connacht/frame.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline teris1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 22:21 BST (UK) »
To aghadowey:  Thank you.  I need to become more familiar with Provinces versus Counties. 

To RayDen:  Will share your information with cousin.  I'm thinking the Tippecanoe, Indiana, information is closer to our John and Mary Daley.  However, my cousin may be able to research further or offer more insight.

Thank you, both, for your time and effort.  Still puzzled why John Daley would've traveled to Baltimore, Maryland; Lafayette, Indiana; Maryville, California; and then settled in Idaho.  I guess something I'll never know.

Grateful from across the pond!

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 20 April 17 04:19 BST (UK) »
"...Still puzzled why John Daley would've traveled to Baltimore, Maryland; Lafayette, Indiana; Maryville, California; and then settled in Idaho.  I guess something I'll never know..."

According to one website, Baltimore was a popular destination by Irish and German settlers, especially mid-1840s.

Another website states that immigrants (who sailed during the mid-1800's to Baltimore) took another boat from Pittsburgh down the Ohio River to Ohio, Indiana, Kentucky and other states.

The couple may have traveled to California in hope of "striking it rich" either in the goldfields or by selling goods to miners; to follow another family member who settled there first; or, for some other reason.

Have found an 1860 census that looks like a possibility for John & Mary:

Name:   John Daley
Birth Year:   abt 1830
Birth Place:   Ireland
Home in 1860:   San Francisco District 9, San Francisco, California
Post Office:   San Francisco

Household Members:   
Name          Age
John Daley    30      Born Ireland
Mary Daley   22      Born Ireland
Catharine Daley   1        Born California

On this census John is shown as a Machinist. 

Found the census via daughter Catherine. The first daughter Elizabeth died 1860 but must have been before the census was taken.

All the other children except Annie were born in California but have not found births as yet...

Ray

They may have traveled to San Francisco from Indiana and may have left the area in hope of obtaining work in Marysville; or, again maybe he followed a family member to Marysville.

According to another website, there was a smallpox epidemic in California in January 1869.  If the Daley's had not already left the state, this could be one of the reasons why they did so around that time.  Note:  Apparently, Marysville was one of three cities that "had escaped the worst type of the disease".

Some photographs of Marysville, in case you haven't seen any:
https://calisphere.org/search/?q=marysville
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline teris1958

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 20 April 17 04:32 BST (UK) »
To "Lisa in California":

Thank you!   You may be on to something.  So instead of taking a boat around the Horn, he and family may have traveled to California, panned for gold, and maybe knew someone in Idaho.  A cousin said the same thing.